A lot of different sports websites do power rankings so I figured why not Mole & Meares? So every Thursday we will post our top 5 teams in the NFL and tell you why we think they deserve to be there.
1. New Orleans Saints (3-0) - This team's offense looks absolutely unstoppable right now. Drew Brees is averaging 3 touchdown passes a game which will put him on pace to almost be able to break Peyton Manning's single season touchdown record. Mike Bell should return this week after being held out last week against the Bills. They have wide receivers that can spread the field and that aren't afraid to across the middle. Oh, yeah, they have a guy by the name of Reggie Bush who still hasn't shown his full potential yet. Not to mention their defense looks much improved from a year ago. Until they lose they will stay atop our rankings.
2. New York Giants (3-0) - The question mark going into this year was their wide receivers, were Mario Manningham and Steve Smith going to be able to rise to the occasion and step in for an incarcerated Plaxico Burress. Question answered...they are both in the top 8 in the NFL in receiving yards. Eli Manning seems to mature every year and is making limited mistakes. The running game has been solid and the defense is one of the top 5 in the league. Week 6 they travel to New Orleans and we will see if they can stop Brees and company.
3. Baltimore Ravens (3-0) - Is it just me or does Joe Flacco seem like a 7 year veteran quarterback this year? He is putting up some good numbers for his sophomore season. Their running game is outstanding with both Ray Rice and Willis McGahee running wild so far. Their defense is just as good as it is expected to be and with Pittsburgh slow start they seem to have a tight grasp on their division already. They have a good test this week against a somewhat weaker than normal New England Patriots team.
4. New York Jets (3-0) - Did anyone expect the Jets to be undefeated 3 games into the season? Is Mark Sanchez the real deal? One thing is for sure, their defense is the real deal. They looked incredible against the Patriots in week 2, holding Brady to no touchdowns for the first time since 2006. If Thomas Jones can stay healthy and Mark Sanchez can play smart football there is a good chance this team could end up in Miami in February.
5. Minnesota Vikings (3-0) - Adrian Peterson. Do I need to say anything else?
Check back next Thursday to see the new power rankings.
Don't forget to visit us at www.moleandmeares.com to watch our weekly NFL show and email us to submit your picks for your chance to win an official Mole & Meares T shirt!