Last week was interesting in the NFL. There were a couple of big upsets and a couple of important games that showed us who is for real. There has been a semi shakeup in this weeks rankings and a new team enters our top 5 for the first time. Here we go!
1. New Orleans Saints (5-0) - The Saints absolutely demolished our #2 ranked team from last week, the New York Giants. After a few weeks of not having the explosive offense we were accustomed to seeing, the Saints came out roaring putting 48 points up against what we thought was the #1 defense in the NFC. This game was over during the 1st quarter when it was evident the Giants had no way of stopping Drew Brees. The Saints scored a touchdown on their first 4 possessions of the game. The Saints are now, far and away, the best team in the NFL. Now they head into Miami this week against a much improved Dolphins team coming off a bye...should be a good game.
2. Indianapolis Colts (5-0) - The Colts had a bye week last week and moved up two spots in our rankings. People will ask how can I move up the Colts when they didn't even play last week and my answer is simple, Peyton Manning. Manning is having his best statistical year since he came into the league and their offense looks unstoppable. Their defense will return Bob Sanders this week and that should help out their secondary which is their only question mark to this point. The Colts have a cake walk opponent this week in St. Louis and should remain in this spot for the foreseeable future.
3. Denver Broncos (6-0) - The Broncos just keep figuring out a way to win. They stay at 3 in our power rankings this week but it was hard not to move them up to number 2. They went into San Diego on Monday Night Football and took care of business and also took a commanding 3 1/2 game lead in their very weak division. Now they get a much needed bye this week which will allow their starters to get healthy. In two weeks they will have to travel to the east coast to battle the Baltimore Ravens which should be a great game...two excellent defenses going head to head. I wouldn't bet against the Broncos for the rest of the season.
4. Minnesota Vikings (6-0) - Can Brett Favre really have been the answer for this team? We knew they didn't have a good situation at quarterback coming into the season and now it seems like he was definitely the missing piece. The Vikings answered any doubters they might have by beating the Raven's last week 33-31. Adrian Peterson ran for over 100 yards and Favre didn't make any mistakes. Giving up 31 to the Raven's offense is a small cause for concern but you can't dispute the fact they are still undefeated. They have another big matchup against an AFC powerhouse this week when they travel to Pittsburgh. If they can somehow defeat the defending world champs in their backyard it will be hard not to move this team further up the rankings.
5. Atlanta Falcons (4-1) - For the first time this year a team with a loss enters our top 5. The Falcons have been playing brilliant football this year and they have bee doing it quietly. Their one loss came back in week 3 against the Patriots in Gillette Stadium. The last two weeks they have beaten teams that we thought could have good seasons, San Francisco and Chicago. Their defense is good and Matt Ryan seems to have matured into a very good second year quarterback. They have to go into Dallas Stadium this week and play the Cowboys who are coming off of their bye and are in desperate need of a win. It will be hard for the Falcons to not over look the Cowboys when they know the following week they have a Monday Night showdown with the Saints. Their spot in our top 5 could be very short lived.
Don't forget to check out our weekly NFL picks video at www.moleandmeares.com .
Enjoy NFL week 7!