If you would have told me before the NFL season started that come week 13 there would be two undefeated teams left, one in each conference, I wouldn't have believed you. But that is where we stand entering this week, the Colts and Saints remain undefeated, although their paths have been greatly different. The Colts have looked down right beatable at times and the Saints offense has, for the most part, looked unstoppable. That is the reason they remain number 1 in our power rankings for the 11th consecutive week.
1. New Orleans Saints (11-0) - The Saints hosted the Patriots in what was described by some as the game of they year. The game didn't live up to the hype as the Saints destroyed the Patriots 38-17. When the Saints offense plays as well as it did this past Monday, its hard to imagine them not in this year's Superbowl. Now they head to the nation's capitol to face the Washington Deadskins. Five more wins to the perfect season, can they do it?
2. Indianapolis Colts (11-0) - The Colts were down 17-0 in Houston on Sunday and it seemed their dream of an undefeated season was finally coming to an end. But the reigning MVP of the NFL would not let them lose, outscoring the Texans 28-7 in the second half. The Colts have perfected the art of the comeback in the past month and this should give them a huge boost of confidence heading into the playoffs. The Colts have to feel that no matter the score they are always capable of coming back in a football game. They might need another amazing comeback this week as they face the much improved Tennessee Titans team on a five game win streak. As with the Saints, its hard to imagine them not in the Superbowl come February.
3. Minnesota Vikings (10-1) - The Vikings dismantled the Chicago Bears on Sunday and for the second consecutive week had such a lead going into the fourth quarter they were able to give Brett Farve some time to rest. Farve's stats this year are incredible considering he is 40 years old. He has thrown for 2,874 yards, 24 TDs and only 3 interceptions. That is amazing considering I can remember a game from each of the last 3 seasons when Farve threw at least 3 interceptions in a single game. The Vikings front office look like geniuses for bringing in Farve when so many people scoffed at the idea. They face their first tough game in a while this week as they head to Arizona to face the NFC West leading Cardinals. If they play their style of football it really shouldn't be a contest in the desert. As with the Saints and Colts, its hard to imagine this team not playing in the Superbowl come February.
4. San Diego Chargers (8-3) - The Chargers extended their winning streak to 6 games this past Sunday, defeating the Kansas City Chiefs, 43-14. This game was over as quickly as it started and Phillip Rivers continued his solid quarterback play throwing for over 300 yards and 2 TDs with no interceptions. The Chargers only face two more teams in their last 5 games with records over .500. This team is starting to play up to its potential and could pose a real stumbling block for the Colts come playoff time, remember what they did to the Colts last year? This week they head to Cleveland to face one of the worst teams in the league. I am putting my money on the Chargers.
5. Dallas Cowboys (8-3) - The Cowboys get the fifth spot in our power rankings by default. The only other team in the league with the same record has lost one of their last two games, the Cincinnati Bengals. Because the Cowboys have won their last two they get our fifth position. I have a tough time believing they are the fifth best team in the NFL but we will find out this Sunday. They beat the cellar dwelling Oakland Raiders last week on Thanksgiving at home. This week they travel to New York City to face the struggling New York Giants. If the Cowboys win they will solidify their playoff chances but if they lose they bring both the Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles back into the division race. Which Tony Romo will show up this week?
There you have it, the NFL power rankings for week 13. Make sure to check out our weekly NFL picks video at www.moleandmeares.com or www.youtube.com/meares78 .