The day is almost upon us, opening day in the NFL, one of the greatest days of the year. Every team has dreams of winning the Superbowl and every team starts on a level playing field. With that said here are the Mole & Meares pre-season power rankings for 2010.
1. New Orleans Saints (0-0) – The Saints are the defending Superbowl champions and until someone beats them they will be our number 1 team in the rankings. It is not hard to imagine the Saints repeating again this year but at the same time to repeat as Superbowl champions is no easy feat. Their first game of the year is a rematch of last year’s NFC championship game against the Minnesota Vikings so they might not last long in this spot.
2. Indianapolis Colts (0-0) – The Colts lost to the Saints in the Superbowl last year and they are the best team in the AFC and have been a perinial favorite to win it all. Any team that has Peyton Manning as their quarterback will always be a Superbowl contender. They start their season with a tough road game against a divisional opponent in Houston where they always seem to have trouble.
3. Baltimore Ravens (0-0) – The Ravens destroyed New England in last year’s wildcard playoff round before being defeated by the Colts in a game where their offense never appeared. The Ravens made some quality off season pick ups, namely getting receiver Anquan Boldin from the Cardinals to upgrade their receiving corps. This team always has a good defense and now with another year under Ray Rice’s belt they should be very good this year. The start the season on the road on Monday night against the New York Jets so we will find out quickly how good they may be.
4. Minnesota Vikings (0-0) – The Vikings lost a heart breaking overtime game against the Saints in the NFC championship to end their hopes of a Superbowl last year. This year they are determined to go all the way behind the media’s darling, Brett Farve, who returns for his 49th NFL season. Well, that is what it feels like anyway. Their receiving corps is in disarray with the loss of Sidney Rice to injury and Percy Harvin’s crazy training camp where he passed out on the field. Adrian Peterson needs to prove he is a top running back by learning how to hold onto the ball. Minnesota opens the NFL season by traveling to New Orleans which is sure to be an entertaining game. Not sure how long the Vikings will last in our top 5.
5. New York Jets (0-0) – Up until Sunday there is no way the Jets were going to be in our top 5 but with the signing of Revis and their run to the AFC championship game last year they seemed to be the perfect fit. They added Santonio Holmes to their roster in the off season and although he won’t play till week 5 this was a huge upgrade to their wide receivers. We know their defense is one of the best in the league, the real question will come with regards to Mark Sanchez and if he can progress as a premier quarterback in the NFL. They start at home against the Ravens which will go along way to determining the best team in the AFC.
There you have it, our first power rankings of the 2010 season. Disagree? Tough, start your own blog! Just kidding…feel free to leave comments below and don't forget to check out my NFL site - www.moleandmeares.com