NFL Power Rankings - Week 2
The first week of the NFL is officially over and there are some major shakeups in our early Power Rankings. Three of the teams we had ranked in the top 5 lost their 2010 opening game which means we have three new teams in our power rankings this week. Will these teams be able to hold serve this week and continue to be among the NFL elite? We shall see.
1. New Orleans Saints (1-0) - The Saints opened up the 2010 NFL season at home against the Minnesota Vikings. After their first drive the Saints looked like world beaters, easily moving down the field and scoring a touchdown in their first possession. They then fell back to earth and only managed 7 more points for the rest of the game. I am going to chalk that up to early season issues and I imagine their offense will be fine for the rest of the year. Their defense only allowed 9 points but I am not sure if that is because they are very good or because Minnesota's offense is just in disaray. The Saints travel to San Fransisco for a Monday night showdown with the 49ers who are going to be desperate for a win. Watch out, this could be a trap game for the Saints.
2. Baltimore Ravens (1-0) - The Ravens beat the Jets on Monday night and held their offense to nine points. The biggest question mark for the Ravens going into this season was their defense, if they are going to perform like they did on Monday night on a regular basis this team is going to be tough to beat. Their offense did look sluggish at times but lets keep in mind they were going up the number 1 defense from last year in the Jets. This week they travel to Cincinnati to face their division rival, the Bengals. The Bengals forgot to show up against the Patriots last week and will have to figure a way to play better to have any chance of beating the Ravens.
3. New England Patriots (1-0) - The Patriots had the most dominating performance of week 1 in their 38-24 trouncing of the Cincinnati Bengals. The score was closer than the outcome as the Patriots jumped out to a quick 21-0 lead in the first half and coasted home. They played well in all three facets of the game and looked like a Super Bowl contender already. They will have a difficult game this week as they travel to the new Meadowland Stadium to face their bitter rival, the New York Jets. If the Jets can figure a way to get their offense going this could be a close game. Unfortunately for the Jets, I don't think they have enough time.
4. Green Bay Packers (1-0) - The Packers outplayed the Eagles on Sunday to start their season off on the right foot. They completely dominated the first half and it wasn't until Michael Vick took over the quarterback position that the outcome of the game was ever in doubt. Clay Matthews looks like a monster at the linebacker position and was everywhere on the field the entire game. Their offense looked off at times and the loss of Ryan Grant for the season is going to hurt. They get a bit of a cake walk game this week as the Bills will be traveling to Lambeau field in hopes of finding a win. The Packers should win this week handily and will remain in our power rankings next week.
5. Houston Texans (1-0) - The biggest upset of the week goes to the Houston Texans who finally found a way to beat the Colts. Arian Foster absolutely ran all over the Colts and showed that he should be considered one of the elite running backs in the NFL with over 230 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns. The Texans barely even showed off their prolific passing attack with Matt Schaub barely throwing for 100 yards. The defense gave up a lot of yards through the air to Peyton Manning and company but most of it was in junk time. The Texans will travel to the nation's capital this week to duel with the Redskins. This should be one of the more interesting games of the week and it will be interesting to see if the Texans can continue their very good early season play.
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 1. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment and don't forget to visit us at www.moleandmeares.com to see our weekly NFL picks video!