In the AFC, 7 of the top 9 teams (after wk 15) lose as division leaders BAL, HOU and DEN all lose and we also see PIT, NYJ, TEN and OAK lose as well. NE now controls destiny for #1 seed and the possibility of 4 8-8 teams in the AFC West gets closer to reality (in which case KC would win the division).
In the NFC, GB, SF, CHI and the Jekyll and Hyde Giants all lost...while DET (with a huge come-from-behind win), NO, ATL and DAL all kept pace and SEA is still in the hunt (their potential 8-4 conf record along with win over CHI helps).
Full playoff clinching scenarios are below. Week 16 has a HUGE amount of KEY GAMES (Week 17 is fairly weak at this point) including a big game on MNF between NO and ATL as ATL hangs on to slim hopes for division crown, CHI @ GB, PHI @ DAL, NYG @ NYJ, SD @ DET, OAK @ KC, SF @ SEA...as well as MIA @ NE, CLE @ BAL and DEN @ BUF. Should be a fun week. Stay tuned....
WEEK 16 PLAYOFF PICTURE:
CLINCHED: Green Bay Packers -- North Division and first-round bye.
San Francisco 49ers -- West Division.
New Orleans Saints -- wild card spot.
ELIMINATED: Carolina, Minnesota, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Washington.
GREEN BAY PACKERS
Green Bay clinches home-field advantage throughout NFC playoffs:
1) GB win or tie
2) SF loss or tie
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
San Francisco clinches a first-round bye:
1) SF win + NO loss
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
New Orleans clinches NFC South Division:
1) NO win or tie
Dallas clinches NFC East Division:
1) DAL win + NYG loss or tie
2) DAL tie + NYG loss
Atlanta clinches a wild card spot:
1) ATL win or tie
2) DAL loss or tie + CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie
3) NYG loss or tie + CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie
Detroit clinches a wild card spot:
1) DET win or tie
2) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + DAL loss or tie
3) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + NYG loss or tie
4) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + ATL win or tie
CLINCHED: Houston Texans -- South Division.
New England Patriots -- East Division.
Baltimore Ravens -- wild card spot.
Pittsburgh Steelers -- wild card spot.
ELIMINATED: Buffalo, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Miami, Jacksonville.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
New England clinches a first-round bye:
1) NE win + HOU loss or tie
2) NE win + PIT loss or tie + BAL loss or tie
3) NE tie + HOU loss
4) NE tie + PIT loss + BAL loss
New England clinches home-field advantage throughout AFC playoffs:
1) NE win + HOU loss or tie + PIT loss or tie + BAL loss or tie
Baltimore clinches AFC North Division:
1) BAL win + PIT loss
Baltimore clinches a first-round bye:
1) BAL win + PIT loss + HOU loss
Denver clinches AFC West Division:
1) DEN win + OAK loss or tie
2) DEN tie + OAK loss + SD loss or tie
Denver clinches a wild card spot:
1) DEN win + NYJ loss + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie