Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne remained hospitalized for a second night on Friday as doctors treat symptoms of fatigue possible related to an insect bite he suffered two weeks ago.
Dustin Long of Landmark Newspapers has more information:
He suffered nausea and fatigue earlier this week before going to the hospital for the second time this month, a Roush Fenway Racing official said. Bayne was hospitalized April 10 upon returning to North Carolina from the Sprint Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway.
“(Bayne) is undergoing a very comprehensive and thorough battery of tests,’’ said Steve Newmark, president of Roush Fenway Racing, on Friday night at Richmond International Raceway.
“The doctors will finish those tests and, hopefully, get the results back and figure out what the diagnosis is. In a perfect world, what’s going to happen is that they’re going to come back and say, “Roush Fenway, you overreacted.’ In our view, the racing is kind of irrelevant right now when you’re talking about the health of a 20-year old kid.’’
Bayne was scheduled to have competed in Friday night’s Nationwide race. He was replaced by Chris Buescher.
Bayne is not scheduled to compete in Saturday’s Sprint Cup race. This is the first race of the season the Wood Brothers will skip because they have sponsorship only to run about half the season.
Early Friday night, Bayne wrote on Twitter: “Ahhh it stinks to watch my car make laps from this view. Hopefully we'll know what’s goin on soon! Thanks everyone!’’
Newmark said it’s too early to know what Bayne’s status for next weekend’s Nationwide race at Darlington will be.
|More NASCAR coverage|