Blog Entry

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

Posted on: November 11, 2011 1:36 pm
Edited on: November 11, 2011 8:20 pm
 
By Pete Pistone




AVONDALE, Ariz. - Another chapter in the Kyle Busch saga was written Friday morning at Phoenix International Raceway when the controversial driver and team owner Joe Gibbs met the media.

Busch explained what a toll the week has taken on him personally and how he’s dealt with the aftermath of his celebrated incident with Ron Hornaday in last week’s Camping World Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway.

“It’s certainly been a trying week,” Busch said. “This has been a situation that I could have dreamed could have happened and I don’t wish it upon anybody. For me, I’ve certainly had a lot of time to sit and reflect and think and decide and look at what the future entails. For me, my future, I want to be with Joe Gibbs Racing, I want to be in NASCAR, I want to be driving the M&M’s Toyota.’’

Although Mars/M&M’s decided to pull its sponsorship from the No. 18 entry this weekend and in the season-ending Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Busch will compete in both races carrying Interstate Batteries support.

He expressed his concern for how his actions impacted JGR and potentially an important and lucrative sponsor like Mars/M&Ms.

“This has been quite a trying week for myself and my wife and everybody at M&M’s, Joe Gibbs Racing, Kyle Busch Motorsports, Interstate Batteries, all the above,” Busch said. “For me, I’m utmost apologetic to everybody that’s been having to go through this situation. There’s no one to blame but myself, so I’m here today to basically say that I apologize to everybody involved in this whole ordeal.”

Busch expressed gratitude for Gibbs staying with him through the situation and his personal commitment.

“Joe has been a huge supporter of mine through all of this and I can’t say enough about him, all the folks at JGR, all the guys on my M&M’s team,” Busch said. “We’re here to say we want learn from this, we want to move on. Certainly, there’s some remorse from my side and to be apologetic to the M&M’s brand and all of those folks that put their heart and soul into this NASCAR program for years. We want to continue that relationship down the road. There’s an opportunity for me to become a better person, to grow, to learn from this and I’m looking forward to those days.

“I’m sure I’ve lost some respect with my team, with my sponsors, with my peers and I understand those consequences. I understand that my actions last weekend were uncalled for, were disrespectful and that I’m here to make sure that I can continue on in a positive manner and make it to where everybody believes in me from this week forward.’’

Gibbs also reiterated his support of Busch but did say there would be more punishment to come in the aftermath of the incident.

“Kyle’s penalties are going to be substantial,” said Gibbs. “The biggest thing for everybody on the 18 was we went from seventh in points in the Chase to 11th. That’s a huge deal. I know Kyle and all of us were excited about getting back into the top five and that will probably take this away from us. That was a big deal for us. We understood that. We also have other actions that are going to be in place. There will be other financial penalties and stuff that we’re working through and will continue to do that as we go forward through this process.”

The stress of the situation was not lost on Gibbs who explained the difficult situation and decisions that were made this week.

“I think for me personally, I just want to make the point when you’re put in the situation like this, you can really make one or two decisions,” said Gibbs. “I think the one (firing) would have been devastating, I think really discouraging for everybody associated with it, Kyle, everybody around him and for the sport. What I’ve chosen to do, I want to support Kyle and I feel like this could have a positive impact on Kyle and I’m committed to him as a person.’’

As for going forward, Gibbs said there were several options still being discussed including the possibility of Busch attending anger management sessions.

 
More NASCAR coverage

Comments

Since: Feb 13, 2008
Posted on: November 12, 2011 11:20 am
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

Its nice to see a sport that looks at the overall picture . Kyle Busch in my opinion thinks he's bigger then the sport.
There are alot things done years ago that are not done now and he needs to change. You have people driving
cars at over 200 mph they are not a weapon. You can kill or be killed with the wrong reaction. Gentlemen I love
watching car racing but I don't love watching people trying to kill each other. For the fan just drive your car to
the best of your ability and my the best man win.



Since: Sep 16, 2006
Posted on: November 12, 2011 9:12 am
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

Are all of you new to NASCAR???? What Busch did is the same thing that happens all the time in NASCAR, its very hard to find one driver that at some point in the career did not wreck someone intentionally. There is actually a lot less of it going on in this time but back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and even the 90's it was just about a weekly occurance. How many times did Petty and Yarbourough tangle? How many times did Dale win a race by nudging someone else into the wall? How many times have we seen Waltrip and Dale tangle? Its a part of racing, take that out and you might was well put them in go carts.  Kyle Busch is one of the few in NASCAR right now that every week drives to win, other drive just to place in top 10 so they have thier shot at a title.  Winning races gets a heck of a lot more exposure for a sponsor than winning a championship. You win a race you have a television audience and 100,000 + fans at the track see you doing donuts and in victory lane. You win the chamionship and you get to stand in front in a meeting hall and give a speech that by comparison have maybe, if they are lucky half the viewers. Like Dale said 2nd is just the first loser. NASCAR needs to force the drivers to want to win. There are so few left in NASCAR that are there trying to win. Drivers that need to be suspended are the start and parks.  Kyle Busch is probably the main reason people tune in each week to NASCAR racing right now, he creates the action on the track.



Since: Aug 2, 2011
Posted on: November 11, 2011 10:43 pm
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

There is no call for this type of behavior not even in nascar. This kid has been out of control for sometime now, and no one has done anything but slap him on the wrists. I feel like he shouldnt be allowed on the racetrack for the rest of the year. I mean if Hendix racing let him go and kept a driver that wasnt as good something must be wron with him. I dont believe he has learned any type of lesson and say he will do this again. He is a timebomb and the next time somebody might seriously get hurt.



Since: May 10, 2007
Posted on: November 11, 2011 10:42 pm
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

"Although Mars/M&M’s decided to pull its sponsorship from the No. 18 entry this weekend and in the season-ending Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Busch will compete in both races carrying Interstate Batteries support."

I am very surprised noone else caught this.....This isn't the last weekend! They're racing in Phoenix this weekend you jack-off! Next weekend marks the end and racing in Miami. Pristone, even you marked this from Phoenix (Avondale).....IDIOT! Please, stop writing if you don't know what you're wru=itting about or the timelines that you're attempting to follow. FAIL!



Since: Nov 9, 2006
Posted on: November 11, 2011 9:46 pm
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

NASCAR has to take some blame in this.  They came out at the start of the year and said they would let drivers settle it on the track.  Well, real men handle it in the garage.  Instead of using your car or truck to wreck someone and possibly cause serious injury, use your fists in the garage if you have a problem another driver.  That being said, Kyle Bush doesn't have the balls to confront someone face to face.



Since: Dec 23, 2007
Posted on: November 11, 2011 8:37 pm
 

Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs plan to move on together

well... makes n difference... this weekends races will be lets all watch the parade anyways....



Since: Sep 1, 2006
Posted on: November 11, 2011 6:24 pm
 

Busch, Gibbs plan to move on together

Busch apologizes . . . big deal.  His apologizes have no meaning because he keeps apologizing and then goes out and acts like an immature, hotheaded thug again!  He's only apologizing to try and save his butt.  Once a jerk . . . always a jerk . . . and Busch is the biggest jerk on the track!



Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posted on: November 11, 2011 4:05 pm
 

Busch, Gibbs plan to move on together

Kiss your career goodbye Kyle... you take anger management classes, you will lose your edge on the track. You lose that, you become Joey Lagano's errand boy during a race...



Since: Feb 8, 2011
Posted on: November 11, 2011 3:47 pm
 

Busch, Gibbs plan to move on together

The only reason NASCAR punished him was because he wrecked Hornaday UNDER CAUTION and after his crew was telling him to calm down, and he still did it. Lets go back a few months, when Busch wrecked Harvick. After the race got punched in the face in the garage by old man Childress (hilarious). Childress was fined $150,000. Busch was fined $50,000 for this last incident. Childress is an owner, i understand. Why? Because NASCAR babies Busch, there is more of a risk getting killed/hurt doing 140mph on the track than getting punched. 



Since: Nov 11, 2011
Posted on: November 11, 2011 3:21 pm
 

Busch, Gibbs plan to move on together

Why are all the true NASCAR fans hating on Kyle Busch for? Seems like Nascar has it in for Kyle. Heck it wasnt that many years ago at Talledaga that the high and mighty driver of the #3 send Rusty Wallace flipping end over end thru the grass for the win and did NASCAR ever punish him for his dirty driving style? NO That is why NASCAR is going down the drain, just look in the stands the are barely half full, sponsors are leaving, wont be long it will be a thing of the past!!!!! TOO may double standards


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com