Roush Fenway Racing has landed Best Buy as a 2012 Sprint Cup Series sponsor in what will be a blow to Richard Petty Motorsports where the electronics retailer backed the No. 43 Ford last season.
Best Buy will serve as primary sponsor of Carl Edwards' No. 99 Ford for two races and the No. 17 Ford of Matt Kenseth for nine races. In addition, Best Buy will serve as associate sponsor for each.
"Best Buy is thrilled to announce this new NASCAR sponsorship deal with Roush Fenway Racing," said Drew Panayiotou, senior vice president of marketing for Best Buy. "Roush Fenway Racing is a great fit for Best Buy Racing. NASCAR continues to be a relevant way for us to connect with our customers. Our goal is to reach our target audiences in a meaningful way, while maximizing the value of our marketing and sponsorship investments."
Roush had been searching for a sponsor to fill out Kenseth's schedule and was pleased with finding funding from Best Buy for at least a partial program.
"We are extremely pleased to announce this partnership with Best Buy," said Roush Fenway co-owner Jack Roush. "Best Buy is an industry leader and a top brand globally. They do a great deal to market and support their teams and we are pleased to be working with an organization that is as enthusiastic about racing as Best Buy. We feel it is a great fit with our organization and we look forward to a great partnership together."
The move currently leaves RPM without a sponsor for its iconic No. 43 ride and driver A.J. Allmendinger. The former open wheel star is now in the mix as a potential candidate for the vacant Penske Racing No. 22 entry if RPM decides to release him.
RPM did release a statement on Tuesday expressing intent to remain a two-car team
We have had a successful and rewarding relationship with Best Buy for the past few years and appreciate all they have done for us,” stated Richard Petty, co-owner of Richard Petty Motorsports. “Although it is very disappointing that Best Buy is changing directions at this late date, we wish all of our friends there the best in their future endeavors.
“Our plan has always been to run a two-car team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2012 and we are continuing down that path,” said Richard Petty. “We have several partners that remain committed to the No. 43 team. We will move forward and explore all of our options in regard to the No. 43 program in the coming weeks.”
|More NASCAR coverage|