We left Lexington at 8:30 this morning and have slowly been making our way up Indiana, otherwise known as the "America's Boredom Highway 101." We now find ourselves in Hobart, Indiana, the town that neighbors Valparaiso University. Not since Hillman University and Billy Cosby has a college in America been more closely associated with an individual than Valpo is with Bryce Drew. Everyone remembers where they were that one day they cared about Valparaiso when Drew hit his shot to beat the evildoers from Ole Miss. However since then, finding anything to know or care about Valpo seems impossible. Dont believe me? Here are some basic questions about Valpo that I guarantee you cant answer:
1. What is the Valpo mascot?
2. Who is the Valpo coach?
3. What conference is Valpo in?
4. Is it private or public?
5. Is there one girl that is attractive on campus? (From our limited time here, the answer seems to be no, but if you disagree, email us at email@example.com with proof).
See, even the most basic questions are impossible to answer. So we actually decided to do some research and find out the three most interesting things about Valparaiso as a University:
1. Its school motto is In Thy Light, We See Light: (I like our motto better which is In Luce Tua Videmus Lucem, which loosely translates to "Down the Road from Target")
2. In 1923 the Ku Klux Klan assembled a bid to purchase the University, but the Lutheran Church outbid the Klan. This fact seems not to have made the official school brochure.
3. David Ruprecht, the host of "Supermarket Sweep" is an alumnus. It is good to see his decision to major in "Grocery Value" while at Valpo paid off. I must say that as a kid, I watched obscene amounts of "Supermarket Sweep" and was utterly fascinated by it for hours at a time. I still dont know why shoppers didnt just use the Paul Linde strategy and load up only on meat.
And that really is all Valpo gives you. So remember folks, if you are on I-65 going north and you see the exit for Valparaiso and think, "man thats where Bryce Drew went, lets stop and see it!", dont. The only thing really fun to do on campus (walk in the library and recreate the Drew pass and buzzer beater in the library) has already been done by us.
On to Marquette!