Nats stand slightly behind Marquis
Posted on: August 15, 2010 1:47 pm
Edited on: April 18, 2011 11:18 am
Nationals manager Jim Riggleman's vote of confidence in starter Jason Marquis relayed very little confidence on Sunday.
When asked by reporters if Marquis would make his next start -- Friday in Philadelphia -- Riggleman said, "when the dust settles, we'll probably run Jason out there again."
What was left unsaid was that the bullpen would be ready to come into the game pretty darn quickly. In five starts this season, he's yet to make it out of the fifth inning. He's managed to get through just four innings in each of his two starts since coming off the disabled list earlier this month after elbow surgery. He is owed $7.5 million for 2011, so the Nats are stuck with this conundrum for another season, too.
Riggleman noted he hadn't talked to general manager Mike Rizzo or pitching coach Steve McCatty about the start yet.
The team could go with Yuniesky Maya or Jordan Zimmerman, MASN's Ben Goessling speculates . The team has also used relievers Miguel Batista and Craig Stammen as starters this season.
Zimmermann is scheduled to start for Triple-A Syracuse on Sunday and has thrown 29 2/3 minor league innings in his return from Tommy John surgery.
"He feels like he's ready," Riggleman said. "I'm sure he feels like five days from now, he's ready to pitch here. That's something we'll consider, but the likelihood is, he'll stay down there a little longer."
-- C. Trent Rosecrans
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter.