Blog Entry

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Posted on: March 26, 2011 1:38 pm
Edited on: March 26, 2011 2:50 pm
 
By C. Trent Rosecrans

UPDATE (2:47 p.m. EST): Soon-to-be-former Cub Carlos Silva said there's "no chance" he'll go to Triple-A Iowa, as the Cubs have asked him to do if the team is unable to work out a trade.

"No chance," Silva told reporters (via MLB.com's Carrie Muskat). "That's not in my mind right now, not at all. I'm not an insurance player. My guess is that's what they want."

Silva also took a shot at new Cubs pitching coach Mark Riggins, saying Riggins was "not straight" with him about the team's plans. Silva said he had a workout on Friday with Riggins, who was positive about the results, and "an hour later" the pitching coach told him the team's plans.

"I'm like, if you have to say something, be straight," Silva said. "He has to learn he's in the big leagues now, know what I mean? There's no kids around here anymore. The way he laid it out, I don't know what he was trying to do."

Silva said Riggins told him they'd like him to throw in some minor league games, but when Silva said he was ready, Riggins told him the news that the team had decided to go with Andrew Cashner in the rotation and Marcos Mateo for the final bullpen spot.

"He should've started with that first and then say you're throwing the ball good," Silva said. Riggins was the team's minor league pitching coordinator last season.

Silva, according to the Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan (on Twitter), also said he was ready to pitch for the Cubs on Monday, his next scheduled day to throw. That seems unlikely now.

------------------

Carlos SilvaAndrew Cashner will be the Cubs' fifth starter and rookie Marcos Mateo has won the final bullpen spot, that means there's no room in the inn for Carlos Silva.

The team told Silva on Saturday that he has not made the team and Chicago will look to trade him, general manager Jim Hendry told the Chicago Tribune.

"I told Carlos Silva there was not a spot for him unless there's an injury between now and Opening Day," Hendry said. "We will explore trade opportunities with other clubs."

Finding a take for Silva and his $11.5 million contract may not be easy. The Yankees and Nationals reportedly scouted Silva earlier this spring, but the Yankees have sense settled on their rotation and no longer have a need for Silva.

Hendry also told Silva the team would like him to start the season at Triple-A Iowa with a shot to make his way back to Chicago if the team can't find a taker.

The Cubs would be responsible for Silva's entire $11.5 million salary if they were to release him, while the Mariners would be responsible for the $2 million buyout for his 2012 option.

Silva went 1-2 with a 10.90 ERA in five games and four starts this spring. He allowed 32 hits in 17 1/3 innings. Last season he went 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA last season in 21 starts with the Cubs.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed. 

 

Comments

Since: May 30, 2008
Posted on: March 27, 2011 1:43 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Another "juiced up player"?  You have got to be kidding?  Silva may be fat, a conacer in the dugout and crappy but juiced up he is not.  He never had a fastball over 90 and his stuff sucked.  He just is fat and not talented.




Since: Dec 23, 2007
Posted on: March 27, 2011 8:43 am
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

another former juiced up former baseball player.. owners need better clauses in the contracts,,, don't guarentee riches to these guys who care nothing about American baseball...



Since: Mar 27, 2011
Posted on: March 27, 2011 7:45 am
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Hey silva was the endgame to the terrible signing of milton bradley. I'd say hendry salavaged that mistake pretty well. He got one decent year out of silva, what did seattle get? 11 million is alot to eat but at least hendry moved on and is giving the spot to the talented cashner and not letting money dictate roster moves.



Since: Dec 24, 2007
Posted on: March 27, 2011 1:34 am
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Get a real job, Fatso.



Since: Apr 9, 2007
Posted on: March 27, 2011 12:37 am
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Silva went 1-2 with a 10.90 ERA in five games and four starts this spring. He allowed 32 hits in 17 1/3 innings. Last season he went 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA last season in 21 starts with the Cubs.  Hey Silva, those numbers do not equal a spot on a MLB roster. I hope Cubs release you so the M's wont be on the hook for any buyoutt.  However, I dont think too many other teams are going to be knocking on your door.  

 




Since: Nov 5, 2010
Posted on: March 26, 2011 10:14 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

This just shows again what a mess the Cubs have become! How much money do they have locked up in worthless players and players no longer on the roster? They have the third or fourth highest payroll in the majors and will be lucky to finish 4th in the DIVISION much less be any kind of contender this year. With their payroll we should expect playoff contenders every year! The cheeseheads fixed their major problems and went out and got two outstanding pitchers. Plus they have a lineup that scored the 3rd most runs in the NL. Yet their payroll is barely half of what the Cubs spend. The Reds have a little higher payroll than Milwaukee but still far less than the Cubs and they are contenders once again. Losing has become a habit with the Cubs organization lately. Time to change the GM and get some one who understands talent.



Since: Oct 9, 2006
Posted on: March 26, 2011 7:40 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

It was actually made very clear to all pitchers not named Zambrano, Garza and Dempster that the final two spots in the rotation were open. That is why Randy Wells, despite not missing a start in nearly two years and perfroming reasonably well still just nailed down a job. Carlos Silva (and any starter for that matter) should prepare like they need to earn a job, especially a guy who won two games over the last four months of the season. He pitched like a jerk, and was not one of the five best starting pitchers in camp. He is also not 24 and a first round draft pick. The reality is this guy is going to cost us big money this year reagrdless, and I'd rather see what we have in Cashner and Coleman than have to suffer through a 4-15 campaign from Carlos the Fatter.



Since: Mar 26, 2011
Posted on: March 26, 2011 7:23 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

He was part of the Milton Bradly trade. Hendry didn't acquire him looking for a quality starter, just someone the cubs had to take on in order to make the money work in the deal.



Since: Aug 7, 2008
Posted on: March 26, 2011 5:35 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

Carlos Silva was a mediocre player with the Twins and Mariners who showed no heart and discipline. Why did the Cubs get him in the first place? I know the Cubs have been run by an incompetent GM for quite some time and deserve some leniency but I say make a team keep the players they acquire. That way less teams will be willing to take on insane amount of dollars or insane players in general.



Since: Aug 19, 2009
Posted on: March 26, 2011 5:33 pm
 

Silva says 'no chance' he'll go to minors

As much as this guy deserves a big punch to the face, it sucks that no one was straight up with this guy before hand. Spring training workouts and games are used for various different reasons depending on the situation a player is in and what he is trying to get out of it. If Silva knew that he would be competing for a roster spot this season his preparation would have been totally different, since he thought there wasn't a chance of him not making the roster as most baseball fans would concede there was no sign of this happening, he was focusing on being ready to pitch opening day, not trying to put up numbers to compete for a roster spot in in the spring. As much of a cancer as this guy is, there is no way that he should be left of the roster for this perennial cellar dweller. The Cubs made an awful signing and are making themselves look even worse now with the way they are treating their mistake. The guy is a solid long/spot starter out of the pen and the Cubbies are already on the hook for 16.5 mil, just keep him around and let him compete, if nothing else at least you know he will give you his all every time out. The young guys can wait another year.


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com