Blog Entry

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

Posted on: August 30, 2011 8:01 pm
Edited on: August 31, 2011 12:55 am
 
By Evan Brunell

Fans are receiving the opportunity to determine three finalists for the Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for excellence in baseball broadcasting.

The candidates eligible for fan voting number 75, with two representatives per team and 15 at-large selections, which you can review below. The candidates are based on popularity, longevity and past voting results, and must have at least 10 years of continuous broadcasting in the majors with a team or network.

Fans can cast votes at the Hall of Fame's Facebook page to determine three of the 10 finalists for the award with voting running from Sept. 1 through Sept. 30. Votes can be cast once per day, with results announced on Oct. 5, with the eventual honoree being revealed on Dec. 6, during baseball's winter meetings.

Here are the candidates:
  • Arizona Diamondbacks: Greg Schulte, Daron Sutton
  • Atlanta Braves: Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren
  • Baltimore Orioles: Joe Angel, Jim Hunter
  • Boston Red Sox: Joe Castiglione, Jerry Remy
  • Chicago Cubs: Pat Hughes, Ron Santo
  • Chicago White Sox: Ed Farmer, Ken Harrelson
  • Cincinnati Reds: Waite Hoyt, Joe Nuxhall
  • Cleveland Indians: Mike Hegan, Herb Score
  • Colorado Rockies: Jack Corrigan, Wayne Hagin
  • Detroit Tigers: George Kell, Jim Price
  • Florida Marlins: Tommy Hutton, Rich Waltz
  • Houston Astros: Bill Brown, Larry Dierker
  • Kansas City Royals: Ryan Lefebrve, Paul Splittorff
  • Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Dick Enberg, Jose Mota
  • Los Angeles Dodgers: Rick Monday, Ross Porter
  • Milwaukee Brewers: Merle Harmon, Bill Schroeder
  • Minnesota Twins: Dick Bremer, John Gordon
  • New York Mets: Gary Cohen, Ralph Kiner
  • New York Yankees: Michael Kay, John Sterling
  • Oakland Athletics: Ray Fosse, Bill King
  • Philadelphia Phillies: Richie Ashburn, Chris Wheeler
  • Pittsburgh Pirates: Steve Blass, Lanny Frattare
  • San Diego Padres: Ted Leitner, Eduardo Ortega
  • San Francisco Giants: Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper
  • Seattle Mariners: Ron Fairly, Rick Rizzs
  • St. Louis Cardinals: Al Hrabosky, Mike Shannon
  • Tampa Bay Rays: Todd Kalas, Dewayne Staats
  • Texas Rangers: Mark Holtz, Eric Nadel
  • Toronto Blue Jays: Tom Cheek, Jerry Howarth
  • Washington Nationals: Bob Carpenter, Charlie Slowes
  • At-large candidates: Thom Brennaman, Joe Buck, Ken Coleman, Jacques Doucet, Ernie Johnson Sr., Ned Martin, Buck Martinez, Tim McCarver, Al Michaels, Joe Morgan, Amaury Pi-Gonzalez, Phil Rizzuto, John Rooney, Steve Stone, Gary Thorne
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeonBaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Category: MLB
Comments

Since: Oct 22, 2007
Posted on: August 31, 2011 10:51 am
 

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

How many people have really listened or watched a complete broadcast from even half of the guys on this list, nevermind all of them. I know my team's (the Red Sox) broadcasters, most of the national broadcasters and a few of the more well-known broadcasters for other teams. Kind of tough to cast an honest vote and I'm thinking it's probably the same for the majority of people.

Oh, btw, Joe Buck shouldn't even be a candidate. He sucks. Once in a great while - about 1% of the time - I remind myself why I mute the TV for his broadcasts the other 99% of the time.



Since: Jan 7, 2008
Posted on: August 31, 2011 10:39 am
 

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

As a Phillies fan I don't believe that Chris Wheeler should be on this list.  First of all he tried his hardest to get Harry Kalas fired.  He is just awful and his voice is annoying.  He is a front runner and doesnt really know the game.  Joe Buck sucks, enough said. 



Since: Sep 7, 2008
Posted on: August 31, 2011 10:23 am
 

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

Pil Rzzuto is my guy 3 times



Since: Mar 1, 2007
Posted on: August 31, 2011 9:53 am
 

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

 Joe Buck should never ever be a nominee.    He is a joke,  most uninformative, boring announcer on the air.   Oh, his father was great, so that gets him the job.



Since: Feb 25, 2007
Posted on: August 30, 2011 8:34 pm
 

Hall of Fame broadcaster voting open to fans

If anyone nominates Joe Morgan......

I'd go Skip Caray in Atlanta, Herb Score in Cleveland and Dick Enberg.


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com