Blog Entry

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Posted on: February 11, 2012 4:55 pm
Edited on: February 11, 2012 5:02 pm
 
Yoenis Cespedes

By C. Trent Rosecrans


The starting point, it appears, for Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes is $40 million.

A report on Cafe Fuerte, a Spanish-language blog based in South Florida, quotes a source as saying the Marlins offered Cespedes a six-year, $40 million contract. It also said he has no immediate plans to meet any other teams. However, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald tweeted that he's heard the Marlins' offer was less than the $40 million reported by Cafe Fuerte.

Cespedes visited Miami earlier this week and then returned to the Dominican Republic on Thursday. During his visit, Cespedes told reporters he'd like to play for the Marlins.

The 26-year-old outfielder has drawn the interest of not only the Marlins, but also the Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Orioles and Indians.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook.


Comments

Since: Jul 4, 2007
Posted on: February 11, 2012 10:29 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Has anybody seen the size of this man? He huge, too big to play CF for long. He will be ok while hes still kinda young, but Im sure his defense will fall off drastically. What are the fish going to do when he cant play CF anymore? Throw more money at the problem? Im sure his bat will be nothing better than average. hes mashed in the Cuban league, but the talent level from those leagues to MLB is pretty significant. I know for a fact he will not be worth 40 mil, so I would love to see the marlins sign him. just adds a few more bloated contracts for them to deal with in a couple years.



Since: Mar 2, 2008
Posted on: February 11, 2012 10:19 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Every GM is simply trying to waste money and ruin the point of bothering with these unproven International UFAs.  The MLB and MLBPA really need to implement the entry-level contracts, with these teams/GMs making all these crazy short-sighted financial decisions.  Save their own economy before it leads to total ruin with giving away money to the near 100% failures rate in these crazy scenarios.

Realisticly Ichiro and Daisuke have been the only ones to live up to any expectations ever since the crazy bidding wars for unproven Internationals started.  The pattern dictates that they should never enter crazy multi-million dollar commitments ever.  MLB GMs are to short-sighted to understand the enormous luck involved in getting your team's moneys worth.



Since: Mar 1, 2011
Posted on: February 11, 2012 10:01 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

What a complete waste of money this would be. These country runaways shouldn;t even be allowed to make money so quickly either. Why do they get to escape time limits for work visas? What a joke. Let someone else have this unknown.



Since: Oct 19, 2007
Posted on: February 11, 2012 8:34 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

How old is he really?



Since: Apr 22, 2011
Posted on: February 11, 2012 7:59 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Correction with Carlos Pena you know what your getting but with Cespedes who knows what your getting also with Yu the Rangers are sick to give this guy that much money



Since: Sep 20, 2006
Posted on: February 11, 2012 7:46 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Cespedes is no bigger risk than Yu Darvish, but about a third the price.


He can run, catch, throw and hit for power, and if you are worried he can't hit the curveball, or might strike out 25% of his at bats, half of MLB fits that description too.  


If Carlos Pena can keep a job in MLB, this guy won't have a problem.   



Since: Sep 19, 2008
Posted on: February 11, 2012 7:21 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Jays signed Hechavarria in 2010, $10 million over 4yrs and is now the the organization's best defensive infielder and the best infield arm.  He will be the starting SS in 2013 or 2014.  That sir, is a bargain by today's MLB standards and he'll only be 23 in April.  



Since: Sep 19, 2011
Posted on: February 11, 2012 7:15 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Way to much money for way to many years. I just hope the Tigers don't try to top it. This is overkill for an unproven player that is beginning to sound like he just might be a minor leaguer his entire career. As far as I'm concerned, the Marlins can have him. Good luck to the Marlins, they may need it.
I agree that is an lot of money for a shot in the dark, In my opinion Cespedes is only Interested in playing for the marlins. If they can't come to some kind of deal with the Marlins for any reason, then he will really start looking at other teams. So unless the Marlins commit a error, it look like Cespedes will sign with them.

I also say that the Marlins can have him, I never thought the Cubs had a good chance signing him in the first place. AS long as Soriano is still a Cub, since no other team want Soriano which means the Cubs are stuck with him. I do hope the Cubs released Soriano but that is just a fantasy



Since: Apr 3, 2008
Posted on: February 11, 2012 7:12 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Wow I didn't know the ants had a new stadium



Since: Sep 19, 2011
Posted on: February 11, 2012 6:58 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

If the Marlins are that really that stupid, they are morons. The guy hit .143 vs AA quality pitching in the Dominican League. In Cuba, any decent pitcher has already made their way to the U.S. This guy is at the very best the next Darnell McDonald and at worst he is Elijah Dukes.
Some team are hoping that Cespedes play like he did during 2009 world baseball classic


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com