Blog Entry

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Posted on: February 11, 2012 4:55 pm
Edited on: February 11, 2012 5:02 pm
 
Yoenis Cespedes

By C. Trent Rosecrans


The starting point, it appears, for Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes is $40 million.

A report on Cafe Fuerte, a Spanish-language blog based in South Florida, quotes a source as saying the Marlins offered Cespedes a six-year, $40 million contract. It also said he has no immediate plans to meet any other teams. However, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald tweeted that he's heard the Marlins' offer was less than the $40 million reported by Cafe Fuerte.

Cespedes visited Miami earlier this week and then returned to the Dominican Republic on Thursday. During his visit, Cespedes told reporters he'd like to play for the Marlins.

The 26-year-old outfielder has drawn the interest of not only the Marlins, but also the Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Orioles and Indians.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook.


Comments

Since: Aug 31, 2006
Posted on: February 11, 2012 5:37 pm
 

Report: Marlins offer Cespedes $40 million

Should be interesting to see what other teams offer after seeing the Marlins offer just a little over 6 mill per year.  The Marlins are probably hoping he's better than the last big name Cuban hitter they signed back in their expansion year (Orestes Destrade).  Seems to me that there will be teams out there offering similar total money with less years (something like 32-35 mill over 4 years).


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com