Blog Entry

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Posted on: December 15, 2010 2:12 pm
 
Posted by Andy Benoit

On the surface, it sounds like one of the most audacious statements in the history of mankind. "I would love to get another dog in the future," Michael Vick told TheGrio.com. Vick, you may have heard, doesn’t have a great track record with dog ownership. A court order rule prohibits him from owning a canine.
M. Vick (US Presswire)
But the Vick of today obviously views dog ownership in a different light than did the Vick of four years ago. "I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

Strange as it is, Vick’s dogfighting trial was one of the best things to ever happen to pit bulls. It pulled back the curtain on the heinous underground activity and brought about a wave of public awareness and sympathy for the animals. Vick’s work with the Humane Society – including the work he has done not by legal obligation but by choice – has had a similar impact. And, perhaps most important, it has eliminated the pretext that dogfighting is simply part of back roads culture.

"I hate to use our culture as an excuse, but it is what it is and that's what happened and that's the way I thought about it growing up," Vick said. "This is just the way we were brought up."

Not anymore. Thanks to Vick, there isn’t a person in America who sees dogfighting in shades of grey.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Category: NFL
Comments

Since: Dec 15, 2010
Posted on: December 15, 2010 9:48 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

I KNOW THATS RITE DEJAVU65



Since: Feb 13, 2010
Posted on: December 15, 2010 9:47 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

They're animals, in other parts of the world they eaten.  If you think a dog has a soul or deserves protection like a human you're insane.  Dogs are nice, they're fun and they're loyal but they are not people, this isn't the most horific crime ever committed by a pro athlete and I will be happy for Mike when he is making Bret Farve money next year cause the bidding war is going to be crazy.  Niners, Cardinals, Redskins, Vikings, Eagles, Dolphins, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Panthers, Jets, Broncos, Titans, Raiders, Seahawks all have no one or someone who is way below average at QB and I would not be surprised if Jerry Jones gets in on the act because Tony Romo blows too.



Since: Dec 15, 2010
Posted on: December 15, 2010 9:32 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

NOW I LIKE MIKE VICK AND I KNOW DAMN WELL IM NOT A SCUM



Since: Sep 21, 2010
Posted on: December 15, 2010 9:18 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Can't we all just get along?



Since: Dec 25, 2006
Posted on: December 15, 2010 8:21 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

One more thing ...

I am a white male and one of the least racist people out there. I am sick about the terrible things African Americans have had to endure, particularly up through the 1960's-1970's. Fortunately I think people of the modern generations are starting to get it as far as racial equality goes.

With this in mind, I've noticed something I find difficult to understand.

Most, if not all, of my Black friends and acquaintances side with Vick. They sing the praises of rehabilitation and second chances.

My non Black friends and acquaintances are much more on the fence. If I had to guess, probably 60% despise him. The remaining 40% either have no opinion or are in favor of the second chance thing. And of those 60% I can tell you with absolute certainty, the overwhelming majority of them are not racist either.

It seems as if most Black people side with him not because they have un biased opinions about what he did, but simply because he is Black. Remember the O.J. trial verdict? Black people were admittedly jumping for joy when he was acquitted. They didn't care if he was guilty or not ... all that mattered was that a Black man beat the system.

To me, I don't care if he's Black, White, Hispanic or any other racial mix. I don't care if it was Michael Vick, Tom Brady or Tony Gonzales. I don't care if he was a pro athlete, rock star or average joe. The crime was heinous and I don't think that people that have it in them to do the things he did deserves much of a second chance. I hope I am proven wrong. Up through now, I see nothing that indicates true sorrow for the proper reasons.



Since: Dec 25, 2006
Posted on: December 15, 2010 8:05 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

I said: "And don't put words in my mouth by saying something like, I put the life of a dog over a human".

dejavu said: "proves my point that you are one of those Pyshco Dog owners who will kill a person before a STUPID DOG!!...."

Really dude .... Really .... NO REALLY?

dejavu said: "there are a few guys that have manslaugher charges matter of fact one of them played for New England! but thats okay right?"

I say: When did I say that is ok?

dejavu said: "matter of fact you probably a 90lb weakling hiding behind a computer screen"

Me: I'm 6'4", 260 pounds, lift free weights 10-12 hours a week and ride my mountain bike well over 100 miles a week. Far from a 90 pound weakling.

dejavu said: "now do me a favor and GET BACK TO FLIPPING THOSE BURGERS BEFORE YOU LOSE YOUR JOB FOR BEING ON THE COMPUTER!!!"

Me: I own a company that imports electronics and distributes to every state in the US. Wouldn't have said it if this clown didn't run his mouth, but I make more money than many pro athelets out there, so I am not necessarily wowed by their money.

In conclusion, agree with me or not, which one of us made the better, more well thougt out points here? Me or this blabbering idiot?



Since: Feb 4, 2008
Posted on: December 15, 2010 7:06 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Yes We Are Scum!! and We support Vick so now what chump! thats why Vick is living the GOOD LIFE!! and you are flipping burgers from 9 to 5!  Stop being a jealous PLAYER HATER! Trust me it eats the soul, since you are so worried about what Vick is doing in his life you obviously don't have a sexy girlfriend if you need help I got you Fam! ..Anybody still having a hissy fit about Vick obviously has no life. But you can get an escort for cheap since your game is not tight. Maybe Vick can let you borrow some money when you get off the late shift at Burger King!, LOL



Since: Feb 4, 2008
Posted on: December 15, 2010 7:02 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Unforgivable? Gimme a break you are probably one of thoes Psycho Dog owners with no life?......But I bet you sit and watch the NFL every Sunday right? there are a few guys that have manslaugher charges matter of fact one of them played for New England! but thats okay right?  I guess you are the most perfect person on the earth right? You must be that second guy behind Jesus who lived a perfect life? EXACTLY!!........And you wishing he dies and gets paralyzes proves my point that you are one of those Pyshco Dog owners who will kill a person before a STUPID DOG!!.... matter of fact you probably a 90lb weakling hiding behind a computer screen, now do me a favor and GET BACK TO FLIPPING THOSE BURGERS BEFORE YOU LOSE YOUR JOB FOR BEING ON THE COMPUTER!!!



Since: Sep 9, 2009
Posted on: December 15, 2010 6:58 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Again. This guy is a piece of garbage excuse for a human being.

And those of you who support him are scum too.



Since: Feb 4, 2008
Posted on: December 15, 2010 6:51 pm
 

Michael Vick talks about owning a dog

Man be Quiet!!! You sound like sour grapes, the man did his time and learned a valuable lesson and is moving on in life to more positive things! Who made you Jesus are you a perfect person? I DID NOT THINK SO!...........Matter of fact I know why you are so jealous and broke, so do me a favor and GET BACK TO FLIPPING THOSE BURGERS FOR YOU GET FIRED FOR BEING ON THE COMPUTER ON THE JOB!!!


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com