Blog Entry

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

Posted on: April 14, 2011 6:49 pm
 
J. Russell took another step back in his possible return to the NFL (Getty). Posted by Josh Katzowitz

At some point, don’t you just have to give up hope for former No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell?

He was a bust for the Raiders – one of the biggest busts in NFL history, in fact – and then he got in a bit of trouble for allegedly possession the infamous Purple Drank (a grand jury later declined to indict him, though he had tested positive for codeine before). He’s lost his house, and apparently, he’s lost his will to be a professional athlete.

Yet, all seemed good when life coach John Lucas invited him to Houston in September so the two could work together. About seven months later, Yahoo! Sport’s Jason Cole reports, Lucas is calling it quits.

And if you’re thinking, “What the hell is wrong with Russell?” well, you’re asking the same question I am.

Apparently, the marriage worked out fine in the beginning with Russell motivated to get in shape – presumably, physically and mentally – but eventually, Lucas tired of having to work so hard to get Russell to respond.

If you’re frustrating Lucas, who’s worked with plenty of alcoholics and drug addicts as they try to rehabilitate themselves, then you’re probably not trying too hard to better yourself. Or you’re working really hard at being an idiot.

“The title of your article should be, ‘It’s Over,’” a source told Cole. "It’s just amazing that you could say that about somebody who is 25 years old and just got drafted four years ago. But it’s been almost a year since he got cut and there’s no interest. Even before the lockout, nobody wanted to get near the kid.”

There’s a good reason for that. Even when Russell has worked out for teams – he tried out for the Redskins and Dolphins last November – he’s shown up in the 290-pound range. Obviously, he’s not making a great impression on anybody, and this latest bit of news certainly won’t help.

It’s yet another miserable moment for Russell who’s made a career out of nothing but sadness.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Category: NFL
Comments

Since: Feb 29, 2008
Posted on: April 14, 2011 10:10 pm
 

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

AND WHY IS THERE NO ROOKIE SALARY CAP?  ANYONE WHO THINKS A ROOKIE SALARY CAP IS BAD, IS ONLY IN THE GAME FOR THE MONEY. 



Since: Jan 5, 2009
Posted on: April 14, 2011 9:48 pm
 

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

I actually feel sorry for the guy.  The NFL and the press hyped him, and he got in way over his head. Just goes to show you that it is not just about physical ability, which Jamacus had, but about mental maturity as well.  It gets a boat load of money dropped in his lap, and he feels he's got it made.  Did not have to prove himself, all the Raiders did was give him a bunch of money based on his potential.  Am not sure Jamarcus will ever make it back to the NFL, but he has got to get his life together.  A victim of the hype.  He does not deserve this type of embarassment with these headlines.  We all screw u.  For crying out loud he is 25.  How smart were you at 25?




Since: Jun 25, 2009
Posted on: April 14, 2011 9:32 pm
 

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

I just looked it up.  A while back Russell lost his house.  He was behind 200 thousand dollars on his payments on a house that was worth 2.4 million dollars.  I don't care if it was a 4 million dollar mortgage and the value dropped because of a recession ( didn't read that anywhere by the way, just giving him the benifit of the doubt).   How can a guy that grossed just under 35 million dollars by the age of 25 plus whatever endorsements he made possibly fall behind 200 thousand dollars on anything?  And why again can't these morons pay cash for a house when they are taking home over 5 million dollars after tax on a 10 million dollar salary?????  
Then again, I guess it really does make sense.  Rumour has it 10 percent of NFL players have already applied for and recieved high interest loans and another 20 percent for a total of 30 percent are inquiring and ready to do so if their next football season is cancelled.  HIGH INTEREST LOANS BOYS..... not just loans... that's bad enough for even a player on minimum wage to need... but high interest loans means they have bad credit or their debt to income ratios are out of whack so bad nobody will take a chance and lend them any money.....  wow.



Since: Jan 20, 2008
Posted on: April 14, 2011 9:26 pm
 

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

JaMarcus Russell: Possibly the chumpiest chump that ever chumped.



Since: Aug 17, 2007
Posted on: April 14, 2011 9:13 pm
 

JaMarcus Russell takes yet another step back

What a loser!


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com