Posted by Ryan Wilson
NFL teams reduced their rosters to 53 players Saturday night, but that's just the beginning of the roster-assembly process. Some newly unemployed big-name free agents weren't out of work long, and teams in need of depth meant that other mid-level players found homes quickly, too. And then there are the practice squads.
Luckily, we got you covered here at the Eye on Football blog where, to quote Banky Edwards, we're like CNN and the Weather Channel: providing constant updates.
So check back often and bookmark CBSSports.com's Rapid Reports while you at it.
- 49ers signed LB Tarvares Gooden to a one-year contract
- Panthers agreed to terms with OG Max Jean-Gilles on a one-year deal
- Broncos signed CB Jonathan Wilhite, formerly of the Patriots
- Seahawks released K Jeff Reed and DT Junior Siavii
- LBs Auston English and Benjamin Jacobs, who appeared to have earned roster spots with strong preseason performances, have been waived while DL Derreck Robinson's contract has been terminated. The Browns also claimed QB Thaddeus Lewis, LB Quinton Spears and DL Emmanuel Stephens off waivers.
- Ravens reached deal with former Cowboys C Andre Gurode, per the team
- Jets place QB Greg McElroy on injured reserve, ending his season
- LB Keaton Kristick likely be the cut by 49ers to make room on roster for QB Scott Tolzien
- Former Rams WR Donnie Avery made it through waivers unclaimed
- The Raiders signed LB Ricky Brown to their 53-man roster and waived OT Seth Wand.
- Detroit has released OL Chris Morris, the Free Press reports. Morris’ inclusion on the final roster was a surprise, so his release isn’t a shock.
- Now that the 53-man roster is set, at least temporarily, three Raiders have switched jersey numbers. Rookie running back Taiwan Jones switched to 22 from 36, rookie CB DeMarcus Van Dyke to 23 from 38 and S/OLB Jerome Boyd to 30 from 40.
- After claiming five players off waivers, Carolina returned to the 53-man roster by waiving WR David Clowney, OL Bryant Browning and DE Thomas Keiser (in addition to DE Everette Brown) and terminating the contract of safety Kevin Payne.
- Patriots sign G Brian Waters, and could have plans to play him this season. The team also signed former Bills LS Danny Aiken, according to a source, and released LS James Dearth and OL Steve Maneri.
- Jets waive LB Aaron Maybin, two others (DT Martin Tevaseu, CB Isaiah Truant)
- Indy have claimed FB Chris Gronkowski off waivers from Dallas
- Jets haved claimed QB Kevin O'Connell off waivers from the Dolphins
- Cards have signed former Bears RB Chester Taylor
- Panthers have claimed DT Marcus Harrison off waivers from Chicago
- The Bucs have claimed former Texans and Rams LB Zac Diles where he will be reunited with Bucs head coach Raheem Morris. Diles played for Morris at Kansas State when Morris was KSU’s defensive coordinator.
- Pittsburgh West Arizona claimed CB Crezdon Butler off waivers from the Steelers. The Cards also claimed CB Korey Lindsey off waivers from the Bengals
- 49ers sign undrafted rookie QB Scott Tolzien off waivers from the Chargers
- Dolphins claimed TE Will Yeatman off waivers from the Patriots
- Bills claimed TE Lee Smith off waivers from the Patriots
- Falcons cut QB John Parker Wilson, left with just two QBs on roster
- Bengals add three players (WR/R Brandon Tate, TE Mickey Shuler, G Mike McGlynn), cut three to make room (TE Chase Coffman, WR/R Quan Cosby, C Reggie Stephens)
- Vikings claimed LB Xavier Adibi off waivers from the Texans
- Ex-Raider S Stevie Brown gets job with Panthers
- Cowboys cut G Montrae Holland, likely to sign Derrick Dockery
- Jets claim WR Mardy Gilyard from the Rams
- Bears sign former Pats first-rounder, S Brandon Meriweather
- Panthers cut 2009 second-rounder, DE Everette Brown