Ken Berger of CBSSports.com passed along these few items:
- Bobcats guard D.J. Augustin is still not part of the deal. The Nets are pushing for Augustin for obvious reasons. By trading Devin Harris, New Jersey wouldn't have a point guard on the roster sans Jordan Farmar. And who really wants Jordan Farmar as their starting point guard?
- From Denver's perspective there are "a lot of moving parts that could make it fall apart," but "no deal breakers."
- A league executive speculated that Melo may not be sold on Jersey and might be afraid about going there "by himself." Melo could be trying to determine whether Chris Paul would join him there in two years. The Nets certainly wouldn't have the remaining assets to land Paul now, but with CP3 becoming a free agent in 2012, there's that opportunity for sure.
- Remember, this deal isn't done yet. Not only has Carmelo not committed to New Jersey, but Denver's a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
- A person involved in Melo talks tells Ken he's "not optimistic" this gets done today. But remember, wheels move fast in the NBA once they get set in motion, so it's definitely possible.
- Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! reports the same thing about Paul joining Melo saying, "This is part of reason CP3 joined with Worldwide Wes and CAA: to be packaged with fellow stars. Once, they wanted Knicks. Now? May be Nets. " And don't we remember Chris Paul's toast at Carmelo's wedding? It's definitely possible they've been talking of joining up for a while.