A report came out earlier in the week saying because of Al Horford's extension, the Hawks might not be able to keep Josh Smith and therefore, might be open to trading him.
And according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press, the Pistons might just be interested. (If not in Smith, then potentially Chris Kaman too.) Ellis says that once the Pistons sale goes official, they will strongly consider a Richard Hamilton for Josh Smith swap.
Wait, what? Hamilton for Smith... straight up? I'm not saying Richard Hamilton isn't a fine basketball player - because he is - but we're talking about Josh Smith here. Sure, Hamilton has a contract that's somewhat attractive ($12.5 million expiring in 2013) but it's not like it's the best thing ever. Hamilton is 32, has been in the league 11 years and his averages are taking a big dip (he's putting up 10.7 ppg this year). Smith, is a rare talent that's just 24 years old and potentially hasn't scraped his ceiling yet.
So yeah Joe Dumars, I guess I can understand why you'd "seriously consider" trading Richard Hamilton for Josh Smith. Here are a few more good trade ideas Dumars is seriously considering:
- Cash considerations for Brandon Roy
- Season 4 of "Sister Sister" for Season 4 of "The Wire"
- 2010 Tracy McGrady for 2002 Tracy McGrady
- Kid Rock for Jason Kidd
- Austin Daye for Detroit's 2007 pick back so maybe Dumars could take Omri Casspi or Taj Gibson or Roddy Beaubois
- The 2004 NBA title for a fully-loaded baked potato