Blog Entry

Deron Williams wants some help in New Jersey

Posted on: December 28, 2011 1:55 pm
 
Posted by Royce Young

This season isn't really about winning for the Nets. Because everyone knows that isn't happening. It's a lame duck season, at least until the trade deadline when New Jersey can potentially make a run at some pieces.

This season is about impressing and convincing Deron Williams that the franchise is worth staying with. He already passed on signing an extension but said that it's a "90 percent chance" he re-signs with the Nets. However, blowouts like the one New Jersey sat through against Atlanta Tuesday night are a very big part of that remaining 10 percent.

So it comes down to the Nets getting Williams some help. He knows it, general manager Billy King knows it and so does everyone on the roster. Via the New York Times, Williams said exactly that:
“We need some more pieces,” he said. “There’s no secret about that. There’s not many starters on our team right now. We have a lot of great role players, a lot of guys who know their job, but in this league you need some top-tier guys so you can get the job done.”
You might wonder if some of Williams' current teammates would feel slighted at their star making that kind of comment. He basically said, "My teammates kind of stink right now, so I need better players." But I don't think anyone on that team is going to disagree. Kris Humphries is a role guy. Same with Damion James. Same with rookie MarShon Brooks. Same with Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson, some guy named Dennis Horner and Sundiata Gaines. The roster is terrible. Without Brook Lopez, it's hard ot imagine that team winning more than 10 games at this point. It really is.

We can all look up and down that New Jersey roster and see it for what it is. So can Williams. He's too good for this mess and unless the team can really make him buy into this whole "Brooklyn is the future" thing, then the Nets will have made a major investment for nothing.

Williams is too good for this. He's too good for this lame duck season of maybe getting a star and maybe not. The Nets don't really have any piece outside of Brook Lopez all that enticing because they gave it all away to get Williams. This team isn't going to win anything, not as is. Williams knows it and it's just a question of how long he'll take it.
Comments

Since: Dec 5, 2006
Posted on: December 28, 2011 6:17 pm
 

Deron Williams wants some help in New Jersey

When the Nets went all-in to acquire Williams from the Jazz last year they gave away nearly all of their real assets. They were probably bidding against themselves as there were few teams that could come close to matching what the Jazz received and none of those willing. Perhaps the theory was that the move to Brooklyn would prove enticing enough on its own. Perhaps the Russian billionaire believed he could will whatever he wanted to happen. Or perhaps they misjudged what it will take to get Dwight Howard.

The team that has also gone nearly all-in to get Williams is Dallas. They have carved out cap room to sign both Williams and Howard if they will each take a bit less than the max to play with Dirk. They also will be thin on the bench if they do not sign any of their own free agents. But three stars might be enough for now. What to do if you are New Jersey? That is a hard call. For one, they need to get Lopez back playing sooner than later. But foot injuries rarely cooperate that way. For another they need to dialogue with Williams to get his input on the team's needs. Having seen Orlando blow their relationship with Howard by not listening the Nets will surely do so with Williams. But does a player have a better handle on other players or does the scouts, coaches and front office know better? This year we might find out.


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com