Posted by Tom Fornelli
Yesterday I wrote about the Austin American-Statesman's Kirk Bohls saying that a source had told him that the battle to be starting quarterback at Texas was over. Even if Mack Brown and Bryan Harsin weren't saying it publicly, Garrett Gilbert would retain his starting job over Connor Wood and Case McCoy. Well, it seems this was all news to Mack Brown. Brown was on ESPN's College Football Live on Monday afternoon, and he denied any reports that said the Longhorns have decided on a quarterback.
"As we’ve said throughout the spring and many times since, we have not talked with the kids about a depth chart, and that includes our quarterback position,” Brown said.
Of course,the question now is whether or not Brown means what he says. After all, in Bohls' report yesterday, it was said that the reason Texas didn't want to go public with the news was to make sure the competition was as fierce as possible this summer. The Longhorns wouldn't want Wood or McCoy not trying as hard to win the job if they found out they didn't have a chance. Not to mention the possibility of a transfer -- hello, Mizzou -- should one of the quarterbacks find out that he's not going to be starting.
After all, while Gilbert has the edge in experience over the others, it's not as if he lit the world on fire last year. Even if he wins the job to start the year, there's no guarantee that he's going to play well enough to keep it, and Mack Brown will want his backups to be as ready as possible.