By Gary Parrish
Here’s everything you need to know about Monday’s slate of college basketball games …
Game of the night: Baylor-Kansas was Monday's biggest matchup and still a must-see game even if it wasn't all that close. The seventh-ranked Jayhawks dealt the third-ranked Bears their first loss. The final score was 92-74. Thomas Robinson finished with 27 points and 14 rebounds (and showed why he's leading CBSSports.com's Player of the Year Watch), and now the Jayhawks are -- surprise, surprise -- all alone atop the Big 12 standings.
Player who deserves improper benefits: Fairleigh Dickinson's Melquan Bolding got 38 points in an 87-83 loss to Longwood. The performance would've been better had it A) come in a win, and B) not featured Bolding missing 12 shots. But whatever. When a college player gets 38 that's worth pointing out. Regardless of the circumstances. And especially when he only averages 13 points per game.
Player who does not deserve improper benefits: Dash Harris took eight shots, missed seven of them and finished with just two points in Texas A&M's 70-51 loss at No. 5 Missouri. To be clear, Harris doesn't have to be a great scorer for A&M to win; he just has to run the team. But it would be nice if he didn't miss 88 percent of the shots he takes.
Numbers don’t lie
- 0: That's the number of games ESPN's Dick Vitale predicted Syracuse would lose during the regular season after the top-ranked Orange beat Pittsburgh 71-63. With all due respect, I disagree. My guess is the Orange will lose at least one road game and then again at some point in the Big East tournament. (They'll still be a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, though.)
- 62: That's the number of wins Missouri has recorded in its past 65 home games.
- 876: That's the number of career wins Jim Boeheim now owns. He's tied for fourth on the all-time list with Adolph Rupp.
Three other notable results
- Belmont improved to 6-1 in the Atlantic Sun with a 95-53 win over Florida Gulf Coast.
- Rutgers moved to 3-3 in the Big East with a 65-58 win over Notre Dame.
- Jacksonville got its first Atlantic Sun win with a 77-74 overtime victory over USC Upstate.
- Memphis freshman Adonis Thomas will have surgery this week to repair an injury suffered last Friday. He's likely done for the season.
- Kyle Kuric did not play in Louisville's loss at Marquette because of an ankle injury. It was the second straight game he's missed.
- Syracuse was ranked No. 1 in the AP poll Monday for the sixth straight week. Seven straight weeks would represent a new school record.