Blog Entry

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Posted on: February 24, 2012 12:53 am
Edited on: February 24, 2012 11:26 am
 

By Jeff Borzello

Rick Pitino wasn't pleased with the officiating or the Cincinnati fans after Louisville's loss. (US Presswire)

Louisville’s 60-56 loss at Cincinnati on Thursday night was a tough one for the Cardinals. It could prevent them from getting a top-four seed in the NCAA tournament, and the defeat also makes it difficult to get a top-four seed – and double-bye – in the Big East tournament.

All in all, clearly not a great night for Louisville.

But it seems Louisville head coach Rick Pitino is not just upset about his team’s loss. According to Card Chronicle, Pitino went off in the postgame press conference about the officiating.

The officials “are really starting to get under my nerves,” Pitino said. “I don’t know who the hell they think they are. The level of arrogance, I just cannot believe it.”

And more, according to our RapidReporter Evan Hilbert: “I have a problem with the officials. They thought they were the three guys going into the Referee Hall of Fame the way they talked to me. I don’t know what they’re looking at sometimes, but they’re so positive, they should really go into the Referee Hall of Fame.”

Wow.

Looking at the box score, both teams had the same number of fouls (16), and each team’s marquee big man – Yancy Gates for Cincinnati, Gorgui Dieng for Louisville – were saddled with four fouls. Throw in the fact that Louisville had to commit fouls late in the game to get Cincinnati to the free-throw line, and it doesn’t seem egregious in either direction.

With that said, there were some questionable out-of-bounds calls, as well as a couple of travel (and non-travel) calls that went against Louisville at key points.

And Pitino wasn’t done with his venom. He wasn’t fond of how the Cincinnati fans acted. He did say Cincinnati had the biggest homecourt advantage he’s seen this season, and would like to see the Louisville crowd bring the same energy on Sunday.

There’s one caveat, though, according to Pitino: “without some of the low-class behavior.”

He would not give specifics about that behavior, of course, but we know the crowd was hostile toward Louisville freshman Chane Behanan. Behanan is a Cincinnati native who committed to the Bearcats after his freshman year in high school before moving to Kentucky and changing his mind later on. Behanan found the atmosphere “fun” and “electric,” for what it’s worth.

Pitino was clearly upset about the loss, but the defeat wasn’t because of the officiating or the fans. It was because Louisville shot 1-of-14 from 3-point range, turned the ball over 14 times and allowed 15 offensive rebounds.

At least he found a way to defer attention from his team.

Comments

Since: Feb 24, 2012
Posted on: February 24, 2012 10:11 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Your comments probably are representative of 10% of UK fan base. That's what people who dislike UK fans have a problem with! It's unfortunate that the 10% affects the other 90%. Not defending Pitino for blaming refs and fans. Emotion sometimes gets the best of us all! And Razy as for UK team great team could win it all this year.


Its alot more then 10% 



Since: Feb 24, 2012
Posted on: February 24, 2012 10:09 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Well if you dont follow uofl basketball stay out, because then you would know uofl is one of the best road teams in the big east since joining, couldnt your wildcats just last year not win on the road in another mediocre year sec?



Since: Apr 6, 2007
Posted on: February 24, 2012 10:04 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

KY fan here who lives in Cincinnati. I was at the game and I must say that the officiating was horrible....but on both sides. Missed traveling, people getting hacked, etc. I don't really like either team but I could see the argument both ways. As for the "low-class behavior" Pitino is talking about, I agree. As much as it pains me to agree with Slick Rick, I agree. Not so much with C Behanan b/c I think he expected that as any hometown kid would if he went to a rival (chanting triator). But the fans were making a mockery of Pitino (the fans directly behind the scorers table being the worst) and in my opinion it was classless. I actually turned to my friend once who is a UC fan and said dude, do your fans always act this way?.........taking up for Pitino and Louisville???? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.



Since: Sep 19, 2007
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:57 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Hawkins, I don't know what game you were watching, but the officiating was not great either way. Siva goes out of control trip after trip down the floor. He swept Gates legs out from under him and got called for a foul. Dieng walked over and over and didn't get called for it. Face the facts, UofL is a joke that can't win on the road. Didn't they lose earlier in the season by 30 at Providence? MAJOR JOKE. They don't need to ove to the Big 12, they need t stay where they are in the soon to be NEW Conference USA!



Since: Nov 24, 2008
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:50 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Wow. How about the slip & fall by Smith which was called a foul against UC in the last minute. That's the problem with fan-atics...they just aren't reasonable or knowlegeable enough about the game to make intelligent comments. Amazing how Pitino was a god while at UK but now he's a bum. How did that happen? Oh, yeah,..he had the audacity to leave UK.
The "slip and fall" foul was made up for on the next posession when Kuric was called for a hand-check in the backcourt...if that is your only example of a blown call going UofL's way, then i will assume you have seen the light and that the refs totally hosed UofL last night.

For years, I have seen home teams (not just in the BE) get questionable call after quesionable call in their favor.  I hate to say it, but i think the NCAA has reached a point where the refs are as inconsistant as refs in the NBA. 





Since: Feb 24, 2012
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:34 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

you must not have seen the game either, because siva n smith were not mauled at all going to the hoop.  smith got rejected and siva did.  siva was always on the ground because he couldnt stop his own momentum, at the same time he made some impressive plays at the basket.  boxing out a man is not backing in to them when they jump in the air.  siva took gates legs from under him; thats not a box out.  i can agree the refs were shoddy in their foul calls, but dont say everything was in uc's favor as much as gates was being fouled down low multiple times but finally got a call in the 2nd half.  look at the number of fouls... if you take away the amount of fouls louisville had in the final minute; it's in their favor.  the better team won last night.  louisville had their chances but didnt make shots.  uc almost blew it shooting all those 3's then finally got smart and took it to the rack.  i agree the refs in the BE are terrible, but this game was unfair to both teams by the refs.



Since: Feb 22, 2012
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:33 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Wow. How about the slip & fall by Smith which was called a foul against UC in the last minute. That's the problem with fan-atics...they just aren't reasonable or knowlegeable enough about the game to make intelligent comments. Amazing how Pitino was a god while at UK but now he's a bum. How did that happen? Oh, yeah,..he had the audacity to leave UK.



Since: Sep 1, 2006
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:27 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

I watched the game and Pitino definitely has a point. There were times Silva and their other guard, forget his name, went into the paint and just got clobbered! Having said that, Louisville got away with stuff too...push offs, moving screens, etc. That's just Big East refs. It's the most physical conference in the country and a lot of times the refs let 'em play through it. It's nothing new! Bottom line, both teams had chances to win the game and Cincy made the big plays and shots when they had to and Louisville didn't. It's not exactly a bad loss for Louisville though. Cincy's a legit tourney team that could make a decent run in it.



Since: Jan 18, 2012
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:17 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

....Your comments probably are representative of 10% of UK fan base. That's what people who dislike UK fans have a problem with! It's unfortunate that the 10% affects the other 90%. Not defending Pitino for blaming refs and fans. Emotion sometimes gets the best of us all! And Razy as for UK team great team could win it all this year.



Since: Oct 6, 2011
Posted on: February 24, 2012 9:09 am
 

Rick Pitino goes off about referees, Cincy fans

Rick was mad because he hasn't been to a good Italian restaurant in a while.



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com