- UCLA - Clearly the favorite to win the PAC-10 this year, and their utter dominance over Washington State makes me wonder if they'll sweep the conference.
- Washington State - With only one loss this season, and the great defense this team plays they'll stay right on UCLA's heels. They aren't a team to overpower everyone with their offensive output, but make no mistake about it they won't lose many games this year.
- Oregon - They lost to Arizona State, but since then they've put it all together, including a come from behind win against Stanford. They're an extremely high-octane offensive team that likes to get out and run. They're troubles for the season, barring injury.
- Stanford - The Lopez twins are an imposing force down low and can carry this team far. Though their guard play outside of Goods leave a lot to be wanted.
- Arizona State - Probably over-rated for now because of their fortunate timing for facing Arizona without Bayless and Oregon before they snapped out of their slump. ASU will quickly fall two spots within the next few weeks. They've got a nice trio of Pendergraph, Harden, and Abbot that propel the team. These kids just aren't experienced enough to stay in the top half of the conference for long.
- Arizona - The team on the rise in the PAC-10. They've suffered a recent rough spot in their year while dealing with injuries to Bayless and Brielmaier. Bayless is back with a vengeance, and the entire team plays better with him on the floor. They'll face a tough, but winnable matchup this week against Stanford.
- California - Present a very balanced attack and can hang with just about anyone. They aren't a dominant team, but they're good enough to keep teams, even UCLA, from running away with the game.
- USC - O.J. Mayo may be a future NBA great, but he's not good enough to carry this team to a winning record in the PAC-10. It's going to be a long season for this spot light seeker and his teammates at the bottom of the conference.
- Washington - A good team gone bad. For whatever reason these guys still can't get it together. On a positive note they will get their first win this week against Oregon State. Teams need to be careful not to overlook UW because they are still talented team that has known success as recently as last year. If UW can pull it together they can quickly move up a few spots in just weeks.
- Oregon State - Do these guys really belong in the PAC-10? For all the other good teams in the conference, Oregon State seems devistatingly out of place. They'd be more at home in a conference like the "Big Sky." They'll be lucky to tally 1 win this year.
Pac-10 Power Rankings: 01/15/08
Posted on: January 16, 2008 2:21 am