Another exciting 'revenge' weekend. Some of the games were duds, but the ACC contributed a couple of pretty good ones...even if we don't really know how good those teams are. Although the games were not great some crazy good plays this week. One of the most impressive was Desmond Briscoe's catch against Texas. The 'Jumping Bean' was also pretty impressive against the Illini.
Here it is:
1. Texas Tech- LW 1- The Red Raiders handled the bye week but now have to go to Norman to play the Sooners. The Sooners are 60-2 at home under Stoops…yo.
2. Alabama- LW 2- The Tide finally scored a TD against Miss. St. The Tide has a couple more ‘tests’ including Auburn before they find Florida in the SEC CG.
3. Florida- LW 3- The Gators look outstanding. Their defense is swarming, and their offense is explosive. They beat the Fighting Spurriers by 50.
4. Texas- LW 4- The Horns shut down the Kansas offense which was impressive. Colt McCoy did throw a couple of incomplete passes though. Texas needs help to get into the Big 12 Title game, they could get it with Oklahoma beating TTU.
5. University of Southern California- LW 5- The Trojan defense did not look like world beaters in the first half, but buckled down later in the game. The offense has tons of talent, but they don’t seem to know what they want to do.
6. Oklahoma- LW 6- The Sooners had the week off to prepare for the Red Raiders. That gave them plenty of time to watch film of the TTU offense…the DC still cannot sleep. It will be a fireworks show in Norman on Saturday.
7. Pennsylvania State University- LW 7- The Lions handled their business this week. They have a game Michigan State team at home to finish the season. If they can win that they will be going to the Rose Bowl.
8. Utah- LW 9- The Utes looked impressive this week. Brian Johnson is a still leading this team at QB. They have a showdown at the end of the season with BYU which is basically an elimination game for a BCS bowl.
9. Boise State- LW 8- Boise did not dismantle the Vandals as most thought they would, but those rivalry games are often closer than they should be. The Broncos are still a very solid team, and with a loss by Utah they are BCS bound, or maybe an at-large selection (need some help here).
10. Ohio State- LW 10- The Buckeyes beat Illinois on the road, the Illini have given the Buckeyes fits for years. The offense was very run based as usual, with Pryor and Wells both going over 100 yards defensive coordinators will be scratching their heads…or pulling their hair out.
11. Oklahoma State- LW 11- The Pokers take care of another opponent. The offense of this team is crazy. Dez Bryant is a beast at WR, and made an outstanding catch the other day. This team is going to give someone a lot of trouble in a non-BCS bowl.
12. Missouri- LW 12- The Tigers scored basically at will. This team has won the Big 12 North and could challenge the winner of the Big 12 South in the Big 12 Title game.
13. Georgia- LW 13- The Dawgs had a scare this week against Auburn. They needed a stop on the last play of the game to prevent the win. This team has to stop playing down to their opponents. Appear to be Capital One Bowl bound.
14. Brigham Young University- LW 14- The Cougars have a very solid offense with Max Hall at the helm. The Cougars have a date with Utah at the end of the season which could improve their bowl invitation.
15. Michigan State- LW 15- The Javor Ringer lead squad will have to play very well in Happy Valley to beat Penn State. A win in Happy Valley gives Michigan State a chance at the Capital One Bowl.
16. Ball State- LW 16- The Fighting Cardinals stay in the same spot and wait for help in order to get into a BCS game. Nate Davis continues to impress anyone who is willing to watch on Tuesday night.
17. Oregon State- LW 25- Finally totally believe in the Beavers. To go along with their talented offense they sport an improved defense. Riley is a great coach and has this team in position to go to the Rose Bowl.
18. Cincinnati- LW 19- Another win for the Bearcats. They beat one of their rivals in Louisville. Now the Bearcats have to focus on the Fighting Mark Mays (not USC)
19. Pittsburgh- LW 18- The Panthers had the week off but were no doubt preparing for their showdown with Cincinnati. A win in that game will give someone the inside track to a BCS game with the bid from the Big East.
20. Texas Christian University- LW 21- The Horned Frogs continue to move up the rankings as their defense is dominant. Watch out for this team in a non-BCS bowl, they could beat the ever impressive ‘BCS school’, maybe even handily.
21. Miami (FL)- LW UR- The Hurricanes win another game against VT. They control their destiny in the ACC, which no one can figure out.
22. Louisiana State University- LW 22- The Tigers had a scare against Troy, and made a furious comeback in the fourth quarter (30-0!). They have some fight in them, and they have too much talent to be playing like this…right?
23. Northwestern- LW UR- The Cats beat Michigan this week and move to 8-3. This team has a chance to win 9 games (this week against Illinois). What a great turnaround for Pat Fitzgerald who is young and doing well at NU.
24. Oregon- LW 24- The Ducks almost let a big lead slip away from them at home against Arizona.
25. Maryland- LW UR- The fighting Turtles had an impressive win against UNC. They are leading the Atlantic division in the ACC, and could be in the ACC CG.
On the cusp: Minnesota, BC, Georgia Tech
New Arrivals: Miami FL (21), Northwestern (23), Maryland (25)
POW: Case Keenum, QB, Houston: He had an outstanding week against Tulsa with his team hanging 70 points, which resulted in a 40 point victory. He went 24/37 for 402 yards and 6 TDs. He also rushed the ball 4 times for 43 yards, and a TD.