The top of the draft is where the marquee players are grabbed. While I do not think the first round is the most important and think teams are built from the middle type rounds. Not many players are ones who can help you in every category, therefore balanced solid players are very important in my opinon.
One of these fantasy studs has been Albert Pujols for a couple of years now. He is incredibly consistent and hits plenty of HRs, gets tons of RBI, and has a good BA. The only thing he really doesn't do is steal bases. But I for one am avoiding him like the plague this year.
Reasons to avoid Albert Pujols:
1. Terrible team with no lineup protection.
2. Injury? He appears to have an injury to his elbow or shoulder or something. This will keep him out of some games, and will probably lower his production when he does play.
3. He is not on a good team and if they get out of the race (which is possible with that team) they may shut down Albert if he has some kind of injury.
4. Pujols has been a perennial top 5 pick, and you cannot risk a top pick on a guy with this many questions.
5. Position: Albert plays 1B, and there are plenty of solid 1B out there, therefore it is not necessary to risk the pick on him.
I do not think that Albert is done as a player or anything, but this is not his season in my opinion. He is still a very good player, but this is the year I think his numbers slip, making him unworthy of a first round selection.