Here are some ideas that have been passed around that shouldn't happen. AKA these are stupid ideas
1) Trade Derrek Lee. First off why anyone would consider trading the team leader, multiple time AS, multiple time GG winner, and former batting champion is beyond me. And even if they wanted to, Derrek has stated in the past that he loves Chicago and wants to stay. And he has a no trade clause. Then there's some belief that they will somehow be able to go out and get Tex to replace him. This is the whole bird in hand is worth two in the bush thing.
2) That the Cubs need a new leadoff hitter. The whole 'Cubs can't win with Soriano batting leadoff' is a myth. The truth is the Cubs can't win with Soriano playing like crap. Whether he's batting 1st, 3rd or even 8th it's not going to matter if he's batting .071. The bottom of the order is good enough to justify batting Soriano leadoff and it worked during the season, when he wasn't playing like crap.
3) Trade Aramis Ramirez. How the hell can anyone say this seriously? He's the most clutch player on the team, and if I remember correctly the franchise leader in postseason HRs and RBIs.
4) Micah Hoffpauir starting in right. That feeling I got when the Sam Fuld for Center Field talks occured last year, thats what I get when I see this talk. It's not good.
5) Trade for Ichiro. Oh the pretty penny it would take to get him. Plus all his teammates apparently hate him. Which leads me to my final one:
6) Sign Manny Ramirez. Repeat after me: Clubhouse Cancer.
The 2008 Cubs won 97 games in the regular season. They don't have many holes. If Cub fans want to build a team that's incapable of struggling for 3 games, they should try. But that team won't be assembled. Especially with the Yankees having a bunch of loose cash, a new stadium and the eagerness to get back to the postseason.
The Cubs stars in 2009 will be AmRam, DLee, Soriano and Zambrano. No new huge names. No saviors. Just more of the same. And I can take that.