Blog Entry

Tiger was whisked away in a blink

Posted on: November 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Edited on: December 1, 2009 9:24 am

ORLANDO -- As the vultures continue to circle, looking for angles and inside information on the Tiger tree-hugging affair, some illumination has come from his infamous episode in the dark.

There has been a smattering of internet activity attempting to describe the scene after Woods slammed into the hydrant and tree, and eventually was left semi-conscious on the street in front of his mansion, but this point should be hammered home, too.

Whatever happened, it happened in a blink of an eye. Small wonder the Windermere Police and supposed eyewitnesses haven't had much to offer by way of play-by-play.

An Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman told on Monday that its emergency personnel are not allowed to comment on accident treatment particulars because of federal privacy laws governing medical issues. But there are a few basic details that even HIPA can't preclude being released.

2:28 a.m. -- The 911 call is received and paramedics are dispatched.

2:38 a.m. -- Fire truck arrives at the scene with three people on board and treatment begins.

2:52 a.m. -- Woods was transported by private ambulance to Health Central hospital in nearby Ocoee.

In other words, the paramedics were there for 14 minutes before Woods was hauled off. The Windermere police reportedly arrived around the same time as the fire-and-rescue crew. Authorities estimated that Woods was unconscious for six of those 14 minutes, and he was said to be mumbling incoherently at certain points when he was awake.

So with such a tight chronology, nobody had time to ask many questions, form many theories or even take a deep breath before Woods was transported down the road. The Florida Highway Patrol, as we reported earlier, did not arrive to begin the formal crash investigation until Woods was long gone from the scene.

Being the devil's advocate here: Yet, with all this frantic activity taking place in a 14-minute span in total darkness at 2:30 a.m., it was determined by Windermere police that there was no reason to suspect that Woods was possibly under the influence of anything that might have impaired his ability to drive?

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or