The Pirate has until 6 p.m. ET Tuesday to sign a contract extension and I'm not sure what to think.
1) What other administration would give a coach who just went 11-2 an ultimatum?
2) Does Texas Tech really want Leach to quit/fire him?
3) The agents want their money, why can't they get the deal done?
4) It has come to this: Leach has hired a "media relations consultant". Why does a sitting coach need a media relations consultant? There was a show of support organized for 12:30-2 p.m. in front of Tech's athletic offices. That smells like a pep rally organized by a p.r. flak for a coach who is sitting on a $2.5 million-per-year offer. Anyone else seeing something incredibly strange here?
5) The two sides have agreed on the salary and length of contract. Seemingly, the only thing to be worked out is the buyout and decision on who owns Leach's marketing rights. After the salary has been agreed upon, the other stuff seems like dominoes to be moved around a table.
6) IMG (Leach's agents) is damaging its image.
7) Good luck with junior recruiting, Mike. Even if you sign the deal, how can you tell recruits you're going to be around?
8) This is Texas Tech. Doesn't it realize what it has in Leach? There's no way you let him get away.