Kentucky managed to keep instate rival Louisville from stealing all the headlines this weekend when it gained a commitment from Class of 2009 star Daniel Orton. The 6-foot-10 center announced his intention to play for the Wildcats at a Sunday press conference, giving Billy Gillispie an obvious insurance policy in case Patrick Patterson enters the NBA Draft after his sophomore season.
Orton is rated as the 12th-best senior in the nation by Scout.com.
He had additional offers from Oklahoma State, Ohio State and a host of other schools.
With Orton off the board, that means13 of the top 20 prospects in Scout.com's Class of 2009 rankings have committed to sign with a particular school next month. Here's an up-to-date rundown of the list:
1. Derrick Favors (uncommitted)
2. John Wall (uncommitted)
3. John Henson (committed to North Carolina)
4. Xavier Henry (uncommitted)
5. Renardo Sidney (uncommitted)
6. DeMarcus Cousins (committed to UAB)
7. Lance Stephenson (uncommitted)
8. Kenny Boynton (uncommitted)
9. Abdul Gaddy (committed to Arizona)
10. Avery Bradley (committed to Texas)
11. Ryan Kelly (committed to Duke)
12. Daniel Orton (committed to Kentucky)
13. Jordan Hamilton (committed to Texas)
14. Alex Oriakhi (committed to Connecticut)
15. Dominic Cheek (uncommitted)
16. Wally Judge (committed to Kansas State)
17. Dante Taylor (committed to Pittsburgh)
18. Dexter Strickland (committed to North Carolina)
19. Mason Plumlee (committed to Duke)
20. Thomas Robinson (committed to Kansas)