Tim Floyd discusses Renardo Sidney's situation
Posted on: July 29, 2009 10:25 am
Edited on: July 29, 2009 10:31 am
Former USC coach Tim Floyd spoke publicly for the first time since his resignation last month, granting an interview to his home-state newspaper on Tuesday. Floyd declined to discuss the O.J. Mayo case that led to his demise. But among the interesting things he did share with the Clarion-Ledger's Kyle Veazey is how he refused to tell Renardo Sidney he could not enroll at USC. Instead, Floyd said he made athletic director Mike Garrett deliver the news because "that was his decision."
"I was very disappointed that we made the choice to not recruit him given that I felt like he was a good kid, a good person," Floyd said. "He deserved the opportunity to live his dream, which was to attend USC."
Floyd said he doesn't believe USC's decision to reject Sidney's enrollment was the result of an independent investigation as much as a reaction to a forthcoming story in the Los Angeles Times . Basically, Floyd said he believes USC was concerned with how enrolling Sidney might affect the school's ongoing case with the NCAA, and little more.
"Our school was reacting to an article that was going to be written in the L.A. Times ," Floyd said. "Given the fact that the institution was involved in an institutional control investigation, they viewed it as preventive management."
But, Floyd added: "They could not put their finger on anything."
The story in the L.A. Times was published shortly after USC informed Sidney he was no longer welcome on campus. It detailed how the Sidney family had been renting a home for between $4000 and $5,000 per month, the implication being that there's no way such was done with a legitimate source of income.
Sidney has since signed with Mississippi State.
Whether he will ever be cleared to play for the Bulldogs remains undetermined.