But it's the same old Poll Attacks.
AP poll: Seriously, Utah State is getting votes now?
Yes, the Aggies are 8-1 in the WAC. But the WAC is rated as the 19th-best league in the nation. So that 8-1 shouldn't mean much unless you're also ready to get excited about Pacific being 8-2 in the Big West (rated as the 18th-best league).
Anyway, here are Utah State's credentials ...
- Overall record of 17-6 against the 185th-rated schedule in the nation.
- No wins against Top 50 opponents.
- Four losses outside the Top 100 (including two losses to teams outside the Top 200).
(When I learn who voted for Utah State I'll let you know; then we can start the effort to check him into the mental ward with Britney Spears.)
Breaking News Update at 7:45 p.m. ET: The voter who put Utah State on his ballot is ... Nick Jezierny of The Idaho Statesman.
I promised I would deliver his name.
I fulfilled my promise.
I'm a man of my word.
Coaches poll: I've got no issues with the coaches ranking Marquette.
I have the Golden Eagles at No. 24 in the Top 25 (and one).
I like that team.
But I'm not sure how anybody could have Marquette ranked without also having Louisville ranked.
I mean, do these coaches (or their assistants or their secretaries or whoever is submitting the ballots) even pay attention?
Here are the vital statistics ...
- 18-6 overall record against the 10th-rated schedule in the nation.
- 8-3 record in the Big East.
- 5-4 record against the Top 50, 7-6 record against the Top 100 and no losses outside the Top 75.
- 5-2 road record.
- 13-3 record in the past 16 games.
- Current three-game winning streak.
- 16-6 overall record against the 28th-rated schedule in the nation.
- 6-5 record in the Big East.
- 2-6 record against the Top 50, 6-6 against the Top 100 and no losses outside the Top 50.
- 2-4 road record.
- 11-5 record in the past 16 games.
- Current two-game losing streak.
It couldn't be clearer in my eyes.
But if it's still too close for you to call then the deciding factor should be that Louisville has actually beaten Marquette twice this season.
First the Cards beat Marquette 71-51 at Freedom Hall.
Then the Cards beat Marquette 71-57 at the Bradley Center.
So how Marquette can be 25th in the Coaches poll while Louisville remains unranked is unbelievable on all levels.