BIRMINGHAM, Ala -- Friday-Sunday pods really are the worst.
They place writers in a dilemma, force us to act like we care about what is happening in some interview session when we're really most interested in the actual NCAA tournament games starting elsewhere. I mean, Ronnie Arrow is great, just a splendid coach and wonderful story. But Kentucky and Marquette are in a tight game, and it's right there on the TV. And this must be what Amy Winehouse feels like when somebody puts a pipe in front of her. She knows what she's supposed to be doing (and not doing). But it's difficult, I tell you, and I'm sure Coach Arrow understands.
Anyway, her are some early observations:
- Michigan State snapped a pattern of producing first-round wins backed by first-round losses every other year that began in 2001. The Spartans cruised to a 72-61 win over Temple. Next up is Pitt, which is destroying Oral Roberts.
- Georgia's dream run is over. I'm not surprised. But I was stunned when the Bulldogs jumped to an early big lead over Xavier before ultimately falling 73-61. I have Xavier going to the Elite Eight. I was concerned at the half.
- Kent State looks terrible.
- Purdue does not look terrible.
- When is our first notable upset coming?