Even though Coughlin is 65, and would become the oldest coach to win a Super Bowl, he told me Sunday night there is no way he is retiring.
"I feel good," Coughlin said "Retire to do what?"
Coughlin has one more year left on his Giants deal, so expect the Giants to give him a new contract after the season.
One thing about Coughlin, he still has the vigor for the job. There is no letup. You talk to his players, and he's the same guy he was 17 years ago when he became an NFL head coach.
Coughlin has eased up enough that he no longer seems as stressed about the job. He gets relief from the game through his family, including 10 grandchildren. In fact, he almost seems grandfatherly now compared to the coach who came into the league.
"I still love what I do," Coughlin said.
It shows. And why should he retire? Isn't he now considered one of the best in the league?
• The Tampa Bay Buccaneers should be thrilled that Oregon coach Chip Kelly pulled out of any chance of his becoming their coach. Kelly's gimmicky style can work in the college game, but it wouldn't have stood a chance in the NFL. His calling card is that wild offense he runs, but in the NFL there was no way it could work. I love Kelly as a college coach. Not in the NFL. The word is it was the Glazer family, the owners of the team, who pursued Kelly, not general manager Mark Dominik. The Bucs should take a look at Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. He has a great track record with quarterbacks and would be a nice fit for Josh Freeman. Why he doesn't get an interview is a mystery to me.
• It sickened me to hear that fans were putting out threats to 49ers receiver Kyle Williams after he fumbled two punts away in the team's loss to the Giants. It's really a bad representation of 49ers fans. But it's usually a vocal minority.
• Candlestick Park is a dump. The 49ers should be ashamed of that stadium, which is why they want a new one. The league should make it happen. I wouldn't pay to see a game in that facility. It's terrible. Many of the bulbs on the stadium lights never went on, making for a dark field. That should never happen during an event as big as the NFC Championship Game.
• The 49ers lack deep speed. That was evident in their loss to the Giants. Michael Crabtree doesn't run very well and they lack a big-play guy on the other side, although Williams has potential. They need to give Alex Smith more help.
• 49ers defensive tackle Ray McDonald doesn't get the due he deserves playing next to Justin Smith, but he showed his true ability against the Giants with two sacks and stellar play against the run. The 49ers made a wise move re-signing McDonald before the season.
• I know a lot of people will blame Billy Cundiff for the Ravens losing to the Patriots because of his missed field goal from 32 yards. But some of the blame has to go to coach John Harbaugh. On third-and-1 from the 14, the Ravens should have run the ball to get a first down, then spiked it and run two more plays. They needed a yard. But Joe Flacco threw an incomplete pass and they had to kick. They also had a timeout if they needed it. They took that home with them, even though they had to rush to get the kick off. Cundiff choked on his kick, but he wasn't alone.
• If defense and running game wins championships, how come the Giants-Patriots Super Bowl features teams ranked 20th (Pats) and 32nd (Giants) in rushing and 24th (Giants) and 31st (Patriots) in total defense?
• New Rams coach Jeff Fisher isn't backing off his vision of being a run-heavy team. Hey, Jeff. It's 2012. You can't win that way. Look at the two teams left playing. The Giants were last in the NFL in yards per attempt and the Patriots were 24th.
• For all the crap the Falcons take for losing their first playoff game in three of the last four seasons, the teams they lost to all went to the Super Bowl. They lost to the Cardinals in 2008, the Packers in 2010 and the Giants this season.
• Love the hire of Joe Philbin by the Dolphins. It's nice to see teams take chances on young coaches. After what he's been through, losing a child, it has to be bittersweet.
• I also think the Saints got a great hire in Steve Spagnuolo to run the defense. He will improve that side of the ball. You watch.