Latest Bracketology: http://onlinesportsfanatic.com/2009
1) I keep going back and forth between Washington and Villanova for the final three seed on the line. Why? Because a 4 seed for Villanova creates a bracketing nightmare for the Selection Committee. Three Big East #1 seeds (Louisville, Connecticut, Pittsburgh) and two Big East four seeds (Syracuse, Villanova) leaves a Sweet 16 matchup between Big East teams, something that is tried to be avoided. So therefore in my latest bracket I have moved Washington down to the 4 line. In turn that helped Washington by allowing them to play in the West region where they will be closer to home for their entire Final Four run.
2) I have St. Mary's, Creighton, Minnesota, Penn State and Arizona on the board for two spots. I know Lunardi doesn't have it narrowed down this far but I do. I don't see how San Diego State can be left out of the field.
3) There is going to be a huge surprise somewhere today. Last year Oregon shocked the world by getting in the field. I don't think Notre Dame has a Fighting Irish chance to get into the field but they could be the HUGE shocker this year. That's just a hunch because Notre Dame doesn't deserve a bid. That shalacking of Louisville is looking a lot better right now though. The other team to keep in mind is Kentucky. It's been a long time since a committee said Kentucky's body of work wasn't good enough.
4) Siena and Utah State's seedings are going to be very interesting. Expect them to be a lot of people's Cinderellas when the brackets come out and are filled out.
5) Does the committee really give St. Mary's a lot of credit for blowing out Eastern Washington? I personally think that what St. Mary's did should be illegal because they just picked up a game at the end of the season as if they are a high school team. Schedules should be set in stone. Anyways now that that rant is over how much credit does St. Mary's get? They should get none. Forget the health of Mills against EWU. We could get better competition by watching him practice against his own teammates. If St. Mary's gets in I have a feeling that Eastern Washington game saved the Gaels (which is wrong). St. Marys is a good team and is NCAA Tournament quality but I don't want to see them get in because they blew out Eastern Washington. That's not fair.