NBA MVP: Chris Paul or Kobe Bryant?
Posted on: April 15, 2008 10:43 pm
Chris Paul or Kobe Bryant? That’s a question I get asked a lot as a sports writer, so who really should be the NBA MVP? I will give you three reasons for each player and then give you my winner.
First in favor of Chris Paul.
1. He’s revived the city of New Orleans. He has been fantastic and he has led a franchise that seemingly had nothing back to the top tier of teams in the Western Conference. The Hornets have been one of the best teams in the NBA all season and he should receive most of the credit for that, giving these fans something to cheer for outside of Saints football.
2. Without him New Orleans would be nowhere. There’s no doubt about this one. Yes the Hornets have other talent on their roster but no one can match up with Paul. He can make plays that make his teammates look better. He can shoot, he can pass, and he just does whatever it takes to win. Without Paul I’m not sure the Hornets would even make the NBA playoffs as tough as the Western Conference is this season.
3. Paul does it all, but all that matters is winning. Chris Paul does anything and everything he can to help New Orleans win basketball games. This limits his shot attempts in a lot of games while he distributes the ball to teammates but he could care less. It’s all about winning ballgames.
1. He’s played without Bynum and Gasol a lot of the year. At the beginning of the year the loss of Bynum would’ve meant nothing to the Lakers because he had not become a dominant player yet. Gasol wasn’t even on L. A.’s roster. Both became major players for the Lakers but Bryant was the constant force behind the Lakers victories when he played with these two and when he was forced to play without them.
2. He’s been the best player in the NBA the last decade but hasn’t won a NBA MVP award. This is absolutely amazing isn’t it? Bryant has been the best player in the NBA for the last decade and has not won the award yet. Doesn’t he deserve to win at least one?
3. Without him the Lakers would not be a title contender. The Lakers would be nowhere without Bryant and they know it. The NBA would be nowhere without Bryant and they know it to. He asked to be traded during the summer but wasn’t and since then he has earned the respect of him teammates back. Without him Los Angeles probably never would’ve traded for Pau Gasol and would likely be fighting for a playoff spot with just Bynum.
Winner? Bryant. Kobe also does whatever he needs to win ballgames and it’s about time the NBA actually gave the award to their league’s best player.