Here are my Sunday NFL re-caps, random thoughts, & opinions. Enjoy:
Kansas City 14
Washington 6 FINAL
- The Chiefs showed signs of life for a second week in a row, which bodes well for their future. A much better showing on defense. However, the Chiefs must score TD's; not field goals if they are to return to competitive status within their division. On the flip side, benching Jason Campbell was not the answer Sunday. The problem isn't the QB; it's the play calling.
Tampa Bay 21 FINAL
- Credit the Panthers for getting back to the running game in this one, which had been a winning formula for them in the past. The turnovers are still a problem. And, for the life of me, I can't figure out how you go through an entire game against a lousy defense and complete just ONE pass to WR Steve Smith for four yards. Smith is upset about his lack of involvement in the offense, as well he should be. They MUST draft a QB in the offseason; I don't care how much they're paying Jake Delhomme. On the flip side, it's time to see what rookie QB Josh Freeman's got. The Bucs are 0-6, and they traded up to land Freeman. The season's dead. Put the rookie in and give him the experience and see if you made the right decision drafting him. Josh Johnson, like Leftwich, simply isn't very good. There is no benefit to leaving Johnson in as the starter. Make the change now.
Pittsburg 27 FINAL
- Ben Roethlisberger had a nice day, passing for over 400 yards; yet managed only 10 second half points. I was suprised they did not run the ball more. The Steelers at no point trailed in this game. With the Ravens and Bengals losing, the Steelers are back in a first place tie in the AFC North. On the flip side, Derek Anderson had NINE complete passes. That's 2.25 completions per quarter, in case anyone's tracking. 122 yards passing won't cut it against any NFL opponent. And, I'll ask again - are we REALLY sure Derek Anderson is the better option than Brady Quinn? And when a WR leads the team in rushing, it's not a good sign. This team may not win another game. Good job, Mangini.
- As a Giants fan, I was appalled by this performance. That was awful. The defense didn't even show up. The offense did make some dumb mistakes as well. However, scoring 27 points should win you most games, but won't do anything when your defense doesn't show up. So, forgive my bias here, but man - that was putrid. Credit Sean Payton and the Saints for having a great game plan and executing it just about flawlessly. Drew Brees will be fighting it out with Peyton Manning for MVP honors for the remainder of the season.
Minnesota 33 FINAL
- Brett Favre continues to prove me wrong with yet another solid performance. Sidney Rice is continuing to have his breakout season. Adrian Peterson got back on track with a 143 yard performance. On the flip side, Joe Flacco was outstanding late in the game, but got no help from his defense in this one. Ray Rice's 194 all-purpose-yards performance went to waste. This was a game the Ravens had to have to avoid a three-game losing streak. Where has this once-dominating defense gone?
St. Louis 20
Jacksonville 23 FINAL - OT
- The Rams showed signs of life in this game by forcing overtime. Their only real weapon - Steven Jackson - led the team in rushing and receiving. Marc Bulger was back in the starting line-up but managed only 213 yards passing in 5 quarters. Is Kyle Boller perhaps the better option at QB? On the flip side, David Garrard got back on track with a 335 yard outing. They finally got Maurice Jones-Drew more involved in the game. He ended the day with 133 yards on 33 carries. WR Sims-Walker continues to have his break-out season and made some fantasy owners very happy this week with his 9 reception; 120 yards performance. The question is - which Jaguars team shows up next week?
Green Bay 26 FINAL
- Without Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson, the Lions never stood a chance. The Packers dominated this game in every way possible. The defense had five sacks and three interceptions, and held the Lions to 149 total yards. Aaron Rodgers was outstanding, completing nearly 80% of his passes for 358 yards. They thoroughly dominated a Lions team that had been competitive all season. THIS is the defense we saw in the preseason. Where's it been all these weeks?
Cincinnati 17 FINAL
- This Houston Texans team is a complete mystery to me. You don't know what you're going to get from them from one week to the next. They have yet to win two games in a row. They also have yet to lose two games in a row. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson had great games against one of the better defenses in the NFL. But, the surprising thing to me was how well the Texans defense played. The Bengals were held scoreless in three of the four quarters. All 17 of the Bengals points came in the 2nd quarter. Has the Houston Texans defense FINALLY arrived? Or will their inconsistency resurface next week against San Francisco?
Seattle 3 FINAL
- The Seahawks are another NFL team that is a complete mystery to me. After completely dominating the Jaguars in every conceivable way, they get completely dominated by a Cardinals team with a subpar defense. Who are the Seahawks? Do we know anything about this team? How does Hasselbeck follow up that performance from last week with a game like that? He completed a third of his passes for 112 yards. Wow. Someone, please explain this to me. Anyone..............
Oakland 13 FINAL
- As shocking as it is, it's true. JaMarcus Russell outperformed Donovan McNabb in this one. The Eagles threw the ball 46 times in this one; yet managed only 9 points. McNabb completed less than half his passes. I have no idea why Brian Westbrook only got 6 carries all game. Credit the Raiders defense for taking advantage of match-up problems at the line of scrimmage and getting after McNabb. THIS looked a lot more like the competitive Raiders team we saw in week 1. They came prepared, and the Eagles did not. But, which Raiders team shows up next week?
NY Jets 13 FINAL
- So, maybe it DOES take more than trash talking and bravado to win on Sunday. That crash you hear is the Jets crashing back down to earth. Sanchez has a rough go of it with 5 picks. A 210 yard effort by Thomas Jones went to waste. The Jets led this one 13-3 at halftime, but couldn't manage to put this one away. Credit the Bills for not giving up like they had in past games this season. However, they simply must get better play from the QB position. It's not often an opponent gift-wraps a victory for you with five turnovers. My advice to Rex Ryan - coach your team during the week instead of bashing them. Correct the mistakes instead of throwing out blame.
Patriots 59 FINAL
- Wow. I don't even know what to say here. 2 complete passes for minus 7 yards by Kerry Collins? Hello! What else is it going to take for the Titans to give Vince Young another chance? Will firing Jeff Fisher do the trick? And, where was the defense all day? They just looked disinterested. What a repulsive effort. NO NFL team should lose 59-0. The Duke Bluedevils would have given a better effort than that.
Falcons 21 FINAL
- What happened to the Bears running game? Isn't this supposed to be a running football team? Jay Cutler was the leading rusher. That's astounding. The goal line fumble by Matt Forte killed this team. No excuse for fumbling on back-to-back plays. Absolutely none. The Falcons had a bad game on offense, but took advantage of the scoring opportunities when they had them. I thought the Falcons abandoned the running game in this one and were extremely lucky to come away with the win. Jay Cutler put up good fantasy numbers, but just couldn't get it done in the red zone when it mattered.
San Diego 23 FINAL
- I take nothing away from the Broncos outstanding performance. They were sensational. But, I thought the Chargers came out in this one with no intensity; especially on defense. The Chargers O-line was horrible and often missed blocking assignments. The defense looked lethargic and unaggressive, and let the Broncos do what they wanted for most of the night. On the flip side, the Broncos offense was consistent and efficient, and the defense was outstanding. They got after Philip Rivers and never let up. There should be no more questions. The Broncos are for real, and it would take a catastrophic collapse for them to NOT win the division at this point.