The former Pro Bowl quarterback, who announced plans to quit football in early September after being frustrated over not finding work in the NFL, said Thursday he’s considering a comeback. But he didn’t reveal which teams may be interested in his services.
“A number of teams have contacted me since my retirement announcement and have provided some important information that has caused me to reconsider returning to the league,” Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, wrote in an e-mail. “As much as I have enjoyed my brief break from playing, I know that I love the game and I have some unfinished business in the NFL.”
Culpepper was the Minnesota Vikings’ first-round draft choice in 1999, became their full-time starter a year later, and teamed with Randy Moss to form one of the NFL’s top duos. But Culpepper suffered a major injury to his right knee in October 2005, ending his time in Minnesota. He failed to regain past form during brief stints with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders.
He talked with several teams this past offseason, yet didn’t find any enticing offers.
Earlier this week, the Chiefs, who have lost starter Brodie Croyle for the season with a left knee injury, looked at free agents, but coach Herm Edwards said he didn’t have plans to sign Culpepper.
“It has never been because of a lack of passion for the game, but rather the absence of a fair opportunity to compete and play that caused me to retire,” Culpepper wrote. “Now that there are some real opportunities that match my desire to play, I will choose the one that is the best fit for both the team and me so that I can continue my NFL career.”
Culpepper has completed 64 percent of his passes over nine seasons, with 142 touchdowns. The 6-foot-4, 265-pounder out of Central Florida was a three-time Pro Bowl selection, and was at his best in 2004, with career highs in yards (4,717), touchdowns (39) and passing rating (110.9).
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer