The year of 2008 may not have been the best year in many of our lives, I know it wasn't for me personally, but 2008 did have some great events and achievements in the sporting world. The purpose of this entry is to have people list their favorite, or several favorite sporting events of this year. To help you all recall what took place in 2008, I'll go over many of the top events in sports.
- LSU wins the National Championship Game against Ohio State 38-24. It wasn't the most competitive or close championship game, but I imagine it was a blast for LSU fans
- Tiger Woods wins the US Open in a 5th round playoff against Rocco Mediate. The only time all season I spent more than 5 minutes of my time watching a golf tournament was this playoff round and I watched nearly every round of it. I normally don't enjoy watching golf, but that round between Tiger and Rocco was probably the best time I've had watching golf.
- New York Giants 17, New England Patriots 14, 2008 Super Bowl. Being a fan of neither team made this a great view. I'm not a big fan of low scoring games, but a close, hard fought game will keep me on the edge of my seat. The 3rd and 5 completion from Eli Manning to David Tyree for 34 yards is, in my opinion the best play I've ever seen in a Super Bowl. Manning eluding what appeared to be a sure sack to throw an on target pass to Tyree, then Tyree's incredible ability to catch and control the ball pinned to his helmet was the real shizz.
- Kansas 75, Memphis 68, OT. Being a KU fan, this undoubtedly is my favorite of the year, but any objective viewer has to admit it was one of the best championship games ever. Mario Chalmers 3-point prayer with 2.1 seconds left in regulation was every little boy's dream come true. That only tied it and sent it to overtime. KU only missed two shots from the field and none of their free throws in the final 2 minutes of the regulation and overtime.
- Phillies over the Rays 4 games to 1 in the World Series. Most of the games were close, including the 3 day long 5th and final game. The rain was unfortunate as was a shorter series, however, if I were a Philly phan, I'd be euphoric.
- Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals in the Summer Olympics. It was the most golds won by an Olympic athlete at any single Olympics game. He's also American, who broke an American's record. If Phelps doesn't win Sportsman of the Year or whatever they call the best athlete of the year, I'll boycott the damn voters.
- If you're a Men's Tennis fan, which I'm not, you may want to give a shout out for the 2008 Wimbledon. Rafael Nadal's victory over Roger Federer in the finals is considered by many the best match ever. The match play time lasted 4 hours and 48 minutes and total match time lasted over 7 hours with two rain delays included. Three of the five sets went into extended play. I know tennis has its own term for that, but its not overtime. If I ever watch tennis its because its two cute chicks running with short skirts.
- Boston Celtics beat the Lakers 4 games to 2 in the NBA finals. I must admit, I didn't watch much of the finals. NBA isn't my thing, but I was happy for the Celtics because I'm a Paul Pierce fan and I don't really like Phil Jackson or Kobe.
- NASCAR fans may want to give a shout out for Jimmie Johnson who won his 3rd consecutive Sprint Cup Title. Or maybe we should just say title. They change the primary sponsor so much, I have a hard time keeping it straight. Anyway, Jimmie Johnson joined Cale Yarborough as the only two drivers to win the NASCAR title 3 consecutive times.