2:05pm: Braves GM Frank Wren spoke to the AP today about the Peavy rumors. He still says the Braves will not trade their top prospects. He notes that much of the talk lately is based on questionable speculation by rival executives.
12:27am: Let's kick things off with the freshest Jake Peavy rumors.
- Dan Hayes of the North County Times says "as many as 14 clubs" inquired about Peavy so far, with some teams taking an aggressive approach. Barry Axelrod and Kevin Towers want to slow things down now, have some meetings. A trade will not be announced during the World Series and is not likely until the November 3-6 GM meetings at the earliest. Axelrod and Towers again suggested Peavy could stay in San Diego.
- Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune says at least three Padres scouts watched Braves pitching prospect Tommy Hanson in the Arizona Fall League recently.
- J.C. Bradbury explains that the only team that benefits from Peavy's below-market contract is the Padres. Is it too early in the morning for econ?
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak "all but dismissed" the idea of being in the mix for Peavy. They have their '08 rotation locked in, pending Chris Carpenter's health. They've already got more than $32MM committed to the current group of starters.
- ESPN's Keith Law does not feel that a package of Tommy Hanson, Jordan Schafer, and one of Kelly Johnson/Yunel Escobar is a reasonable expectation for Peavy.