Links for Monday...
- In his first post for RotoAuthority, David Chase looks at players who were said to have lost weight or gained muscle during Spring Training '08. How did they perform in '08?
- The Red Sox inked infielder Nick Green to a minor league deal.
- Murray Chass explains why the New York Times Company's purchase of a share of the Red Sox was a conflict of interest.
- Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik: "We 19ve got an offer out right now for a piece of the puzzle, and I 19d hope to hear in the next few days."
- David Laurila talked to new Mariners exec Tony Blengino. One of many interesting quotes (in reference to the Bill Bavasi regime and the '07 club): "I thought that it was clear going in that, with all due respect, they overrated their team from the last year."
The Yankees will introduce Mark Teixeira tomorrow. He passed his physical today.
- River Ave. Blues and Peter Abraham ask whether the Yankees should consider Andruw Jones. Evan Brunell looks at other possible fits.
- The Dodgers talked to the Cubs about Jason Marquis, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick.
- Pirates president Frank Coonelly joins Mark Attanasio (Brewers) and Drayton McLane (Astros) in supporting a salary cap.
- Jeff Moorad might be aggressive in the draft if he takes over the Padres. Tom Krasovic adds that the Padres have already discussed spending up to $6MM on their #3 pick this June.
- Keith Law likes the Angels' Brian Fuentes signing, and doesn't think the Indians gave up much for Mark DeRosa.
- If the Indians are to add another significant player, they'll have to get creative with contracts.
- RAB and In Mo We Trust discuss Kevin Kernan's recent suggestion that the Yanks sign Oliver Perez over Andy Pettitte.
- A couple of recent Hot Stove Dailies from Jeff Passan: the Braves and A's.
- Athletics Nation asks whether Brian Sabean is "out-GMing" Billy Beane this winter.
- Sox Machine on why the Gavin Floyd-Brian Roberts rumor makes no sense.