7:21pm Here is a link to the actual radio clip.
6:01pm Chad Finn of the Boston Globe recaps Peter Gammons' appearance today on WEEI.
- Gammons believes the Red Sox would sign Jason Varitek if he offered his services for $2MM. Gammons still believes the Red Sox would prefer to take the draft picks and trade for a different catcher.
- Gammons says the player's association was "strongly advising" agents to turn down arbitration offers, but that in the end it cost players like Varitek a lot of money.
- Gammons says a lot of players could be looking for jobs in the spring, noting that AJ Burnett's agents did a great job considering the Yankees wanted Derek Lowe. As a result, Lowe (a Boras client) is now without a job.
- Gammons called Mark Teixeira Scott Boras' "ultimate client" and that Teixeira is "very well-programmed."
- He notes that there was a lot of "testiness" between Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez in Texas and Gammons wonders how Teixeira will handle the high expectations that come with playing in New York.
Cork Gaines writes for RaysIndex.com and can be reached here (firstname.lastname@example.org).