For my next NBA installation, I will rank the top 10 shooting guards of alltime. The SG position is mainly made for scores, and all of the top 10 were great scores with many ways to get some points.
1. Michael Jordan- Simply the best.
2. Kobe Bryant- Gets the nod over West mainly for the timeline effect. West and Kobe both were great shooters and defenders. Kobe has more height, and has played against tougher competition, not to mention he won 1 more MVP, and 2 more championships.
3. Jerry West- The Logo was as clutch as they come. His 60 foot buzzer beater is legendary. He was underrated as a passer, leading the league in apg with 9.7 in 71-72. His career stats are 27 ppg, 6.1 apg, 5.3 rpg.
4. Allen Iverson- Iverson barely beats Gervin, for a variety of reasons. AI can play the PG posittion, which is a big plus. While Iverson is a bit of a defensive liability, his speed creates turnovers, which is why he is 5th alltime in steals. Iverson is also a warrior, dealing with dozens of injuries, but still playing hard every game. He has only played less than 40 mpg in one season, and in that he played 39.4 mpg. AI's 2000-2001 season is the most I have ever seen one player carry a team, and it shows what AI can do when the game is on the line.
5. George Gervin- The Iceman won 4 scoring titles. He was the ultimate scoring machine, with unlimited moves. His height generated many matchup problems for the opponents, and if he had played some more D, he would be No.2 on my list.
6. Clyde Drexler- A real do it all player. The Glide could score, pass, rebound, and play D. He led the Blazers to 2 finals, and won one with the Rockets. Jordan overshadowed him, but Clyde put up a career stat line of 20.4 ppg, 5.6 apg, 2spg, and 6 rpg.
7. Pistol Pete Maravich- Better as a college player, but still led the league in ppg once. Always played on terrible teams, and never got the benefit of the 3pt arc in his prime. IMO the flashiest player in league history, made spectacular passes, and had uncanny ballhandling skills.
8. Reggie Miller- Owns the most 3s in history. My favorite player, a guy who would always show up in big games. His big playoff moments are endless, and his 8 points in 8.9 seconds was ridiculously clutch. IMO the most clutch player to ever play, and maybe the best shooter ever.
9. Earl Monroe- The Pearl is called by many the best 1v1 player ever. His spin moves and finger rolls defined his smooth all around game. Injuries hurt him, but in his good days, he had good D and plenty of moves to score with.
10. Sam Jones- Another big game performer, only one other player can match Jones' ring total, and that is Bill Russell. T-Mack, Joe Dumars, and David Thompson fought for this spot, but I can't ignore Sad Sam and his 10 rings.
Honorable mention- Joe Dumars, Tracy McGrady, David Thompson, Mitch Redmond, Chris Mullin