For them to make the playoffs we need about 5 things to happen:
1. Phil Hughes must come back strong. By strong I mean win every start, or at least pitch well enough to keep them in the game.
2. A-Rod needs to start hitting with RISP. Seriously, for a guy this good to be this bad in those situations is simply pathetic. (Pressing???)
3. Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte need to pitch 6-7 (or more) quality innings in every start for the rest of the year.
4. Someone needs to step up in the OF. Melky isn't cutting it this year. He plays good defense, but that's obviously not enough.
5. Oh, and the Twins and Red Sox both need to cool off in a big way.
Which of these have the best chance of happening? Only #3 really sticks out as likely. #1, 2, and 4 are possible but unlikely. #5 is just wishful thinking. We might need to find something else to do during October. Mine just happens to be below.
A Fantasy Football note
Who do I like as a sleeper this year?
Well, at QB I really like Matt Schaub. He's got weapons, specifically Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, and also happens to play QB for a team that can't run the ball very well. That's a good combination.
At RB, I gotta go with Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans. The guy has wheels (A 4.24 40-meter dash time at the NFL Combine). He also can catch the ball, another plus, especially for PPR leaguers. Why do I like him? Just check out his 66-yard TD run in their preseason game vs. the Rams.
At WR, I like Robert Meachem. You might remember him as the 27th overall pick in the 2007 Draft, who didn't play in a single game last year for the Saints. Why do I like him? Duh. He plays for the Saints. He has more talent in his left big toe than David Patten, Devery Henderson, and Lance Moore combined. Did I mention that his QB is Drew Brees? Also a star in his first preseason game, with 166 yards and a TD.