The NFL season may have just ended, but for my first official blog I would like to give a preview of next years NFL. I will give you my pre-season NFL rankings. Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers for winning the Superbowl, by the way.
Pats1211 2009 NFL Power Rankings
1. Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers just won their 6th Super Bowl, and they are the fvorites to win a 7th next year. They have the best defense in the country, and Big Ben has evolved into probably the 3rd best QB of this era.
2. Carolina Panthers - Last year the Panthers dominated with the run, and that is exactly what they are going to do this year. Jonathan Stewart is now a more experienced back, which will make him even more deadly, especially in a 1-2 with DeAngelo Williams. Look for the Panthers atop the NFC next year.
3. Philadelphia Eagles - If you saw how the Eagles were able to end the year, then you know why I put them up here. I think that the Eagles will pick up some key free agents, and have a great draft. Expect them to knock the Giants off their perch in the NFC East.
4. New England Patriots - The Patriots didn't make the playoffs, but they showed they could come a tiebreaker away without a starting QB, not to mention losing Rodney Harrison, Adalius Thomas, and other members of the defense. Look for another good draft, and for the Patriots to make the playoffs with Tom Brady or with Matt Cassell.
5. Arizona Cardinals - After making it this far this year, we all know Arizona is a threat. I predict both Boldin and Warner will end up staying, so they will another dominant passing attack. They will use the off-season to patch up some serious holes on the defense, and will make a run deep into the playoffs, especially with the less-then-stellar NFC West.
6. New York Giants - Th Giants are a great all around team, and with the return of Osi Umenyiora, they will be great. I do not expect them to let Plaxico Burress to return though, and I don't think Eli Manning can do as well without him in the starting lineup.
7. Tennessee Titans - After a great season last year, I don't think the Titans will be quite so great again. Their "smash" (LenDale White) could not seem to be productive at the end of the year, and I don't think a young Chris Johnson could handle the entire runnung game by himself. The defense will be good, but not good enough to take them to the Super Bowl.
8. Baltimore Ravens - The Ravens will give the Steelers some serious competition in the north. Joe Flacco looked great last year, so imagine how good he will be this year. The defense will be steallar again, and I predict Ray Rice will be a great help in the running game.
9. Atlanta Falcons - Mike Vick who? Atlanta can bearly remember their fomer #1 draft pick. Nowadays it is all about Matt Ryan. Ryan can throw the ball much more acurately, and is the type of QB the Falcons need. Michael Turner will be back carrying the load and leading them to victory.
10. Indianapolis Colts - Many of you would expect them much higher, but I think the loss of Tony Dungy will hurt them. They will still make the playoffs though, with Peyton Manning throwing to Reggie Wayne all over the field. The defense is doing great as of late, and they could make a serious run in the playoffs.
11. Minnesota Vikings - Adrian Peterson seems to be the only bright spot for the Vikings. Their QB, whether Tavaris Jackson or Gus Frewrotte, is not a franchise QB, and their star defensive players get fined and into trouble. Look for a great personel change though, that will let them take over the north.
12. Chicago Bears - At one point last year, it looked like Chicago had a great QB in Kyle Orton, but then he got hurt and wasn't the same when he came back. Matt Forte is great, but will not be able to support this team, especially when thir defense is not how it once was.
13. Miami Dolphins - After a great season, 11-5, to come back from their horrendous 1-15 season, I do not think they will be able to have repeat results in 2009. People will be ready for them and the Wildcard now, so look out Ronnie Brown. They will make a run for the playoffs, but ultimately I see them on the outside looking in.
14. Denver Broncos - Finally someone from the AFC West., although it isn't who you might expect. I think that with new coach, Josh McDaniels, the Broncos will do great. Jay Cutler will work well with the new coach, and they will have an easy time winning the not-so-tough AFC West.
17. Houston Texans - The Texand did great last year, going 8-8 out of the blue. They had one of the most dominating offenses in the NFL, and Mario Williams is going to get better year after year. Steve Slaton was the best rookie running back last year, even better then C. Johnson and M.Forte. Kevin Wlater and Andre Johnson are great receivers, and they will definitely improve their holes on defense.
18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Buccaneers fans are still crying after their 4 game collapse last year. This years record will be close to the same, but around the same all year.Nobody, not Jeff Garcia or anyone will get this team into the playoffs.
19. Dallas Cowboys - Ya, I know the Cowboys are probably the most talented team, but they don't have the teamwork. Their whole team is all about ME, and Philips is a bad excuse for a coach. Their is too much talk on camera and not enough on the field.
20. Kansas City Chiefs - With new GM Scott Pioli, the Chiefs will be much improved, and overtake the Chargers in the West. I think Tony Gonzalez will stay, and it doesn't matter whether or not they keep Larry Johnson.
21. New Orleans Saints - The Saints are good, but they don't have the defense. They are in a now tough NFC Southy, and they will have to play the AFC East. They will have Drew Brees moments of greatness, but no playoffs.
22. San Diego Chargers - After just squeaking into the playoffs, I dont think the Chargers can accom[plish anything this year. Philip Rivers is all mouth, and Ladanian Tomlinson is not as good as he once was. You might say Darren Sproles can fill that gap, but I dont agree. Only the Raiders finish lower in the West.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars - I can't explain why, but they will continue last years slumps. Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Jones make a great 1-2, and David Garrard is a good QB, but they cant get it done.
24. San Francisco 49ers - Frank Gore is the bright spot of this team, and for success they will have to build there team around him. Unless they have a good off-season, they will end up near the bottom.
25. Buffalo Bills - The slump from last year continues. The Bills will only be able to beat the Jets in the east, and wont be able to compete with the NFC South. Sorry Biils, but I got no love for you.
26. Seattle Seahawks - This team has question marks all over the field and will not amount to much. They ight win a few games but not much.
27. Detroit Lions - Yup they aren't last, and they are going to win a game, actually about 4! The off-season will improve their team greatly, and they will be after almost every hot free agent. They dont have too tough of a schedule, and they are going to have a party after every win. Conbgratulations Detroit fans, you are going to win a game!
28. Cleveland Browns - In a tough NFC North, what can you expect from this team. They have to get ready for the future, instead of trying to bring in guys to get to the Super Bowl right away.
29. New York Jets - I know they went 9-7 last year, and I have them pretty low, but they are not going to be a great team. They will lose Brett Favre, or if he stays he will play like crap. The AFC East is good, and they have to play the NFC South.
30. Oakland Raiders - Unfortunately, Tom Cable will not get the time he needs to rebuild this team. It is going to take time, but Al Davis is going to fire anyone who wins less then 8 games.
31. Cincinatti Bengals - Not much too say. They need serious help, and not even /chad Johnson will be able to help them