So, with so much of the year focused on negative stories that occurred off the field, I thought it appropriate to highlight some of the positive off-field stories, as well.
The following are links to my 10 favorite draft stories of 2010.
Did I miss some? I hope so. Feel free to chime in with some of yours too.
- Boston College OLB Mark Herzlich beats cancer, returns to the field .
- Maryland WR Torrey Smith (and his mom) overcome tough life to be on the verge of NFL glory.
- Arkansas TE DJ Williams (and his mom) know all about overcoming a tough life and helping a shelter for victims of domestic abuse .
- Villanova WR Matt Szczur can play in the NFL. Or Major League Baseball. He's already helped save the life of a 19-month old girl .
- North Carolina State ILB Nate Irving returns to the field after a horrific car accident nearly takes his life.
- Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers, after the tragic passing of both his father, Dennis, and mentor, Gaines Adams, commits to becoming a great player and person off the field and wins the 2010 Nagurski Trophy .
These last four stories are obviously not as heart-wrenching or important as the first six. They do, however, serve as reminders as to what is right about college football in a year when so many devoted so much time to what is wrong with it.
- Miami cornerback Brandon Harris argues that he and his teammates are the ones to blame for the Canes' struggles, not head coach Randy Shannon. Argues that the team should dedicate the rest of the season to their head coach . (Shannon was, of course, fired later in the year despite Harris' comments.
- Baylor OT Danny Watkins, a former volunteer fireman in Canada , has emerged as a legitimate NFL prospect.
- Wisconsin DL JJ Watt, a former 228 pound tight end who walked on at Wisconsin , is now among the top prospects in the country.
- Washington QB Jake Locker, an icon in the Pacific Northwest , shuns NFL millions because he wants to lead Huskies to bowl game. And does.
On behalf of everyone at NFLDraftScout.com, have a happy and safe New Year!