Tag:NFL Draft
Posted on: January 4, 2012 2:50 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:36 pm
 

Aztecs sophomore RB Hillman declares for draft

San Diego State running back Ronnie Hillman is forgoing his final two years of eligibility to enter the 2012 NFL Draft.
  
The redshirt sophomore told the San Diego Times-Union that he received feedback from the NFL Advisory Committee that he could be selected as high as the third round.
  
"Yes I will be declaring this year," he told the paper.
    
The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Hillman is the second redshirt sophomore running back to declare for the 2012 draft, joining Miami's Lamar Miller. Hillman is the No. 9-rated running back prospect for the 2014 class by NFLDraftScout.com, and will join an increasingly loaded class at the position in April.
  
Hillman does make the leap after two highly productive seasons. He rushed for 1,532 yards and 17 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman and 1,711 and 19 touchdowns this season. He hasn't been highly involved in the passing game, with 33 career receptions for 338 yards and two scores.
  
He closed out his career with just 55 yards on 24 carries in San Diego State's 32-30 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette in the R+L carriers New Orleans Bowl.
  
Along with Miller, Washington's Chris Polk has already said he's leaving, and fellow juniors Trent Richardson from Alabama and Virginia Tech's David Wilson could soon follow suit, as could Wisconsin's Montee Ball and Oregon's LaMichael James, all Top 100 prospects by NFLDraftScout.com along with seniors Doug Martin from Boise State and Isaiah Pead from Cincinnati.
  
Meanwhile, the Union-Tribune reported that Aztecs junior cornerback Leon McFadden will return for his senior season.

Posted on: January 4, 2012 2:06 pm
This entry has been removed by the administrator.

Post Deleted by Administrator

This message has been removed by the administrator.

Posted on: January 3, 2012 10:51 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:37 pm
 

Iowa's Reiff third top OT to declare for draft

Iowa's Riley Reiff will enter the NFL Draft, becoming the third top-rated offensive tackle by NFLDraftScout.com to announce he is leaving school with a year of eligibility remaining.

He joins Southern California's Matt Kalil, who declared last month he was leaving for the NFL, and Stanford's Jonathan Martin, who made his announcement earlier Tuesday. All three are considered potential picks in the top half of the first round in April.

"Riley made his own decision," Reiff's mother, Jo, told the Des Moines Register. "We didn't help him out in any way. What he decided was OK with us.

"He finally came up with the decision."
  
Reiff, 6-feet-6 and 300 pounds, is the No. 5-rated overall prospect for 2012 by NFLDraftScout.com and is No. 10 on Rob Rang's Big Board. He has been a standout on the Hawkeyes' line since starting 11 of 13 games in 2009 while seeing time at left tackle, left guard and right tackle. He took the left tackle spot over fulltime in 2010, filling in for first-round pick Bryan Bulaga.
  
Iowa running back Marcus Coker had seven 100-yard rushing games in 2011, with Reiff leading the effort in the run blocking.
  
Unlike Bulaga, Reiff is considered a left tackle prospect in the NFL. He's athletic enough to stone speed rushers and plays with tenacity in the run game.
  
Meanwhile, running back Mika’il McCall, who was suspended for the final two games of the season, told the Register by text message that he will not be returning to the program.
Posted on: January 3, 2012 10:51 pm
This entry has been removed by the administrator.

Post Deleted by Administrator

This message has been removed by the administrator.

Posted on: January 3, 2012 6:38 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:39 pm
 

USF RB Scott makes surprise leap to NFL

South Florida running back Darrell Scott is leaving the Bulls with a year of eligibility remaining.

"Good Luck Darrell Scott," Bulls coach Skip Holtz tweeted the news first reported by CBSSports.com.

The 6-foot-1, 239-pound Scott led the Bills with 814 rushing yards on 153 carries with five touchdowns in 2011, but the move did come as a bit of a surprise after just one season at USF following his transfer from Colorado. He sat out the 2010 season.

Scott is rated as the No. 21 running back prospect for the 2013 draft by NFLDraftScout.com.

Scott submitted his name to the NFL Advisory Committee, and his jump to the NFL might have been aided by the rise of Demetris Murray, who rushed for 503 yards and eight touchdowns this season. The Bulls also have Marcus Shaw in a fairly deep backfield.

Scott has good size and intriguing athleticism. However, he'll also be jumping into a fairly deep pool expected to be available in April's draft, with nine running backs ranked among NFLDraftScout.com's Top 100 potential eligible prospects for 2012.

Posted on: January 3, 2012 6:19 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:39 pm
 

Stanford OT Martin declares for 2012 draft

Stanford junior offensive tackle Jonathan Martin said he will enter the 2012 NFL Draft.

"I have decided to forgo my final year of eligibility and enter the NFL draft," Martin tweeted. "Thank you to everyone who has loved and supported me."

Martin is the No. 3-rated offensive tackle eligible for April’s draft, according to NFLDraftScout.com, behind only fellow juniors Matt Kalil from Southern California and Iowa’s Riley Reiff. Kalil has already said he’s entering the draft.

Martin is the No. 13-ranked overall prospect by NFLDraftScout.com, and 12<sup>th</sup> on Rob Rang’s Big Board. At 6-feet-6 and 305 pounds, Martin is known for his athleticism and considered a good fit for a zone-blocking scheme.

He was quarterback Andrew Luck’s blind-side protector and has the skills to remain on the left side in the NFL.

Luck and guard David DeCastro announced before the Fiesta Bowl that they intend to leave the Cardinal a year early for the NFL as well.

 


Posted on: January 3, 2012 2:02 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:40 pm
 

Illinois DE Mercilus declares for NFL Draft

Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus declared he is leaving the Illini program a year early.

"After a lot of prayer and discussion with my family, I have decided the time is right for me to forgo my senior year and enter the 2012 NFL draft," Mercilus said in a statement.

Mercilus is the No. 3-rated defensive end prospect for the 2012 draft by NFLDraftScout.com, and the No. 35-rated overall prospect.    

The 6-foot-3, 262-pound Mercilus tied Simeon Rice's school record with 16 sacks in 2011 while setting a Big Ten record with nine forced fumbles - the second-highest single-season total in NCAA history. He also racked up a conference-best 22.5 tackles for loss while earning first-team All-America honors. Mercilus also won the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

Mercilus entered the season with just two career sacks, but his departure after a monster season didn't come as a surprise following the firing of Ron Zook and with defensive coordinator and interim head coach Vic Koenning declining an offer to stay on as coordinator.

"I’m very proud of Whitney for the amount of work he put in to be in this position," defensive line coach Keith Gilmore said in a statement. "He really matured during the season and became a terrific leader not only for the defensive line, but for the entire defense."
<iframe id="pmtracker" width="320" height="240" style="top: -100px; width: 1px; height: 1px; position: absolute;">
Posted on: January 3, 2012 1:44 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2012 3:41 pm
 

Miss. State's Cox, Rutgers' Sanu leaving for NFL

Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Rutgers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu announced they will declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.

Cox is the No. 3-ranked defensive tackle prospect eligible for the 2012 draft and the No. 16-ranked overall prospect by NFLDraftScout.com. He is also No. 22 on Rob Rang's Big Board.

"God works in many ways," Cox told the New York Times. "He answered my prayer and I knew deep down in my heart it was time for me to go."

The 6-4, 295-pound first-team All-SEC pick is a third-year junior who racked up 5.0 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss in 2011. He has experience playing inside and outside for the Bulldogs, and possesses excellent size, strength and athleticism to be a fit in any NFL scheme.

Cox is considered anywhere from a mid-first to early-second round pick, and currently is projected at No. 28 in Rang's Mock Draft and No. 32 by Dane Brugler.

Sanu is the No. 4-ranked wide receiver and No. 29-ranked overall prospect by NFLDraftScout.com, and No. 26 on Rang's Big Board. He set Big East and school records with 115 receptions in 2011.

"It was a tough decision, because I was definitely thinking about coming back," Sanu said during a press conference. "I'm going to miss the family, the cohesiveness of being around my teammates every day.

"I'm emotionally attached to this team. ... We have such a tight bond, and I love all these guys."

The 6-2, 215-pound junior owns the school career record with 210 receptions (210) and his 2,263 receiving yards are fourth in school history.

"I think he's going to be a great pro athlete," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano told The Star-Ledger. "He's been a great person and a great representative of Rutgers.

"As great an athlete he is, he's an even better person."

Sanu is 30th is Rang's current Mock Draft, and postseason workouts will be critical in determining whether he makes it into the first round.

While Sanu has great size and hands, some NFL scouts question his deep speed and ability to create separation from defensive backs at the next level. Sanu is also experienced with the ball in his hands, rushing for 653 yards and nine touchdowns during his career as he ran the Wildcat during his first two seasons, which contributes to his ability to break tackles and generate yards after the catch.


 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com