*UPDATE* THE MOLE & MEARES SHOW WILL BE APPEARING ON INSIDE THE NFL ON SHOWTIME ON DECEMBER 22ND, 2010!!!!
Read my rankings below and make sure to visit us at www.moleandmeares.com to see our most recent video with a special appearance from Sussanah Collins from Showtime as we get ready to appear on Inside the NFL next week!!!!
After 13 weeks in the NFL the top teams are starting to separate themselves from the rest of the league. The Sunday and Monday night games were two of the best games of the year and caused one of our top 5 teams from last week to fall completely out of our top 10. Both teams who won the two premier games jumped up in our rankings and we have two new additions to our top 5 this week. There are only a few good games in week 14 setting up a huge week of games the following week. I would be surprised to see any major movements after next Monday but you never know. Here we go...
1. New England Patriots (10-2) - Wow...the Patriots embarrassed the Jets on Monday night football. Tom Brady is now the front runner for the MVP after throwing for over 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. The Jets had a chance to answer critics who claimed they had an inflated 9-3 record and they failed miserably. Since week 2 the Jets have only beaten one team with a winning record and last night it showed. The Patriots defense played really well causing 3 turnovers and holding the Jets to 3 points. The Patriots travel to Soldier Field on Sunday to face the Bears who are also trying to prove their record isn't inflated but if last nights game is any indication, it isn't going to end well for Chicago.
2. Atlanta Falcons (10-2) - The Falcons found a way to win on Sunday against the Buccaneers even though they didn't play their best football of the year. For the first time this season Matt Ryan through mulitple interceptions but the Falcons were still able to overcome the mistakes and pull out a late game comeback for a nice divisional win. The Falcons have perhaps the easiest schedule left among the elite teams in the NFL as they will face the Caronlina Panthers twice in their last 4 games with the first meeting coming this Sunday in Carolina. Barring a huge upset, the Falcons should be in the drivers seat for the best record in the NFC.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-3) - As a fan, two of the best games of the year are when the Steelers play the Ravens. These games are without a doubt, the most physical games of the year. On Sunday, Pittsburgh got the better of the Ravens, with Troy Polamalu causing a late turnover when he knocked the ball out of Joe Flacco's hands deep in Raven's territory. The Steelers went on to score their only touchdown of the game and take a one game lead over the Ravens in the AFC north. This week they welcome in the hapless Bengals into Heinz Field. The Bengals have given the Steelers fits over the last couple of seasons so this game is no gimmee although I am hard pressed to think the Bengals have a chance.
4. New Orleans Saints (9-3) - The Saints have quietly won 5 games a row and are only one game behind the Falcons in the NFC south. I say quietly but some may say they have gotten lucky recently. If Roy Williams falls down they lose to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving and if the Bengals had any discipline on defense Sunday's game could have ended differently. Drew Brees got Pat Sims of the Bengals defensive line to jump offsides late in the fourth quarter on fourth down which resulted in a first down and the eventual game winning touchdown. The Saints will welcome the upstart St. Louis Rams into the Superdome on Sunday. The Saints need to be focused on the Rams and not looking ahead to their week 15 matchup with the Falcons because the Rams are fighting for their division crown.
5. Baltimore Ravens (8-4) - The Ravens suffered a tough loss to the Steelers on Sunday night. They seemed in control for 55 minutes of the game only to fall short after a late game turnover. I have a feeling these two teams will see each other again in January. With that said the Ravens now have to turn their focus to Monday night as they will travel to Houston to face the struggling Texans who are coming off a mini bye week after playing last Thursday night. I believe the Ravens will right the ship and get back on track with a road victory at Houston and I can only hope for that Ravens/Steelers matchup in January.
Honorable Mentions: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 13. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com, to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 14 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.