The second week of the NFL season has come to an end and there are some surprising teams sitting at 2-0 and 0-2. Who would have guessed that the Cowboys would be 0-2 at this point and the Buccaneers would be 2-0. If that was your prediction you need to start your own show and blog. We have two newcomers to our rankings this week after two of our top 5 teams faltered in their week 2 games. Here we go...
1. New Orleans Saints (2-0) - The Saints have not looked like quite as good as they did last year but like any championship team they still find a way to win. They beat the 49ers on a last second, paritally blocked field goal, in San Francisco on Monday night. I will keep them as our number 1 team going into week 3 but they have a tough divisional game this week when the Falcons (1-1) come to the Superdome. The way Matt Ryan is playing right now, this game could go either way.
2. Green Bay Packers (2-0) - The Packers completely dismantled the Bills last Sunday in a 34-7 drumming. Aaron Rodgers seems to be living up to all of the hype the media is giving him and they didn't miss a beat without Ryan Grant. But...they played the Bills who you could argue is the worst team in the NFL. We will find out how good they are this week when they go on the road to Soldier field to face the 2-0 Chicago Bears in a divisional showdown. If they find a way to beat the Bears they a chance of taking over our number 1 spot.
3. Houston Texans (2-0) - The Texans looked about average for the first two and a half quarters against the Redskins and then they decided to play some offense. They overcame a 17 point 3rd quarter deficit to defeat the Redskins in overtime. Matt Schaub threw for 497 yards which was a positive but they allowed over 400 yards of passing offense against them. Their defense could be a problem as the season progresses and they might have to rely on their offense to outscore their opponents. They have a date with the Cowboys this week in Houston and this could be a trap game as the Cowboys will be desparate for a win.
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-0) - The Steelers defense is really good. They have held opponents to one touchdown and only 20 points in their first two games. Those two opponents (Falcons & Titans) scored a combined 79 points in their other game not against the Steelers. With Roethisberger poised for a return in 3 weeks, which should bolster their struggling offense, this team might be the team to beat in the AFC. This week they travel to Tampa Bay to face the 2-0 Buccaneers. I would be extremely surprised if the Bucs remain undefeated after this week.
5. Chicago Bears (2-0) - Without a doubt, the Bears are the early surprise team in the NFL. I would never imagined they would be in our power rankings this early in the season, if at all. They played extremely well last week on the road against the Cowboys and now are primed for a huge division showdown against the Packers. If Jay Cutler doesn't turn the ball over they are a very good team, but that is a big IF. Matt Forte is quickly becoming one of the top running backs in the league and is starting to frightenly resemble Marshall Faulk as a complete running back. Monday night will be a huge test for the Bears and will show us if they are for real.
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 1. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com , to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 3 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.